Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
no seeing as i got a kit front and rear for like $400.....i had to buy lines and some brackets but i still came out couple hundred less than $800 and i didnt even need to get the rears

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Wheels... The Baer kit is probably a stronger caliper and would be preferable to me :yes

Are you looking for JUST improved stopping power or an esthetic upgrade as well?

Jazzer :)

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Wheels... The Baer kit is probably a stronger caliper and would be preferable to me :yes
I agree. The Cobra brakes are pretty "meh." They're better than GT, but not quite on the plane of aftermarket brake kits, plus $800 isn't too bad.

I plan on going with some sort of aftermarket kit eventually. Maybe a 4 piston setup.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
I was in love with my cobra brakes until I went boosted. Now they just don't seem strong enough.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
^ Did you go good fluid, pads and SS lines?

Jazzer... about to go pimpin' :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Powerslot rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads, SS lines front and rear FTW! Atleast thats what i went with and my 5,000 pound stang stops on a dime i must have stopped from 55 to 0 in 10 feet for a red light when i wasnt paying attention one day. Oh ya get some dupli color caliper paint too, i went with the red color and man do my brakes look sexy! Edit- Also i went with some Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid for high boiling temps! Jazzers brake guide helped me a ton with making decisions and performance vs costs.

For everything all together i think it ran me about 650-700$ But i got brand new everything accept the 1 piston calipers which i painted red so it was a good upgrade for my budget instead of paying 800$ for a fancy front upgrade i got to do my back brakes and still have colored calipers for the same price and unless your pushing 500+ HP i dont think the expensive front brake kits are really necessary or worth it. Plus i had to do front and back cuz i still had factory brakes on mine even the pads which werent even pads when i took them off lol about the only thing left on them was the metal plates on the back of the pads. Just my 2 cents either way u cant go wrong upgrading the horrible brakes on our stangs!

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Powerslot rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads, SS lines front and rear FTW! Atleast thats what i went with and my 5,000 pound stang stops on a dime

unless your pushing 500+ HP i dont think the expensive front brake kits are really necessary or worth it.
5,000lb stang? What have you got in that thing? Do you have a lot of really fat friends? :tomato

And I'm hoping to be in the 500+hp territory anyways. I think some 00 R's would be nice for me. :D

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
^ LoveStangs ride will stop every bit as fast :yes

The ONLY real difference would be a bit improved cooling if you were to make many hard stops in succession. Save your money on other things, OEM calipers, rotors are just fine! All you need is good fluid, pads and SS lines to stop that...er, I mean LoveStangs fat pig of a ride ;)

Jazzer.... offendin' his pepes who gave him props :wtf

·
Registered
470 Posts
No fat people here... just going off what the sticker in the door says, 4950 lbs so ya add my subs in the trunk and me and u got 5k+ but for how quick you are to pull out the fat jokes u must be a lard ass yourself.:nuts

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
No fat people here... just going off what the sticker in the door says, 4950 lbs so ya add my subs in the trunk and me and u got 5k+ but for how quick you are to pull out the fat jokes u must be a lard ass yourself.:nuts
I'm a professional sumo wrestler by trade, actually.

And 4950lbs seems very high...my boat of a 1970 Cutlass weighs in around 3600lbs unloaded, and that thing is a monster. It is all steel, and has a heavy ass 350ci Rocket V-8 to boot. I don't see that our little pony cars should be over half a ton heavier than that.
Hell, I know there's some heavy duty pickups that are in that weight range.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Are you sure you are reading it right. There is no way that car ways almost 5000 lbs. My dad weighed the V6 and it wasn't but like 3200-3300? And thats with 18x9, 18x10 heavy bullit wheels on it.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Are you sure you are reading it right. There is no way that car ways almost 5000 lbs. My dad weighed the V6 and it wasn't but like 3200-3300? And thats with 18x9, 18x10 heavy bullit wheels on it.
When I registered it in NYS, the weight value came up as 3300 for a GT coupe. Granted I'll be a little over that with my IRS, FLSFC's, and 03 Cobra motor now, but I don't think I'll be close to 5000lb.

...buuuuut...Stage 2 of my build is whole new front suspension/brakes. Tubular K frame, tubular A arms, possibly CO's, if not new springs/struts, and hopefully 00 R brakes, slotted rotors, SS lines, and hawk pads.

That's after Stage 1, which is PIECE THE DAMN THING TOGETHER! And before Stage 3, which is KB/Whipple time.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Maybe he should check his car for hidden drugs or something lol

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
N0, I haz the stock lines.:sorry

:p

When you get the chance, go for a full-set of those bad boys, for some additional improvement in braking :yes

Jazzer :)

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Link? I are feelin' lazy...

and jazzer always takes care of his peeps.:yes

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Me no gots no linky's.... but have names of some companies listed in my Brake Upgrade thread :yes

1 - 20 of 27 Posts