Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 509 Posts

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I tore the long block down. Took me about 2 hours and 45 minutes to do so.... Will be heading to the machine shop in the morning. I went ahead and loosely bolted the main caps back on and knocked the dowel pins back in. I left the side bolts out. Is that how the machine shop is going to want it?

In the a.m.... i need to take the following to machine shop.....

TO BE BALANCED
Crankshaft w/ bearings
rods w/ bearings
pistons w/ rings
flywheel
harmonic balancer

Block (.20 over and painted black)

Anything else???????

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
nice man.. are you reusing your stock block or did you get a new one? i can't remember. i wish i could have done mine as fast as you're doing yours. i wasn't in the best financial position when mine blew so it took me 6 months

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
6 months???? heck naw... im hoping to have everything back from machine shop sometime next week and start putting it together next weekend perhaps. I made sure i had EVERYTHING before i even pulled it because i did NOT want the car down for long. Im reusing my stock block.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats another 300!!!!! just for the shortblock... I want to learn it and experience it. Its costing me right under 400 for them to balance everything and clean/bore/paint block. Im going to tell them 500 bucks if they just go ahead and assemble it. :D Doesnt hurt to ask? :dunno

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
forgot to add.... for a 150,000 mile motor, everything looked pretty good. I found a couple plastic pieces in the bottom of the oil pan? One piece is size of a quarter and other piece is size of marble. :dunno

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:dunno :dunno :dunno... They look like/feel like the same kinda material the timing tensioner arms/ guides are made of. Havent looked yet though to see if something is broke. Will do in the a.m.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im just dying ready for the Polished d1sc to get here so i can put farrah outside to sleep with the coonhounds and rest the D1sc right beside me! ahhhh

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I havent ordered any as i was going to check the wear on these. I checked them and you cant tell at all that the chain has ever rode on it so im thinking of reusing them unless i find that one of them is the culprit of the broken pieces.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i thought the tensioner arms are plastic too? didnt look at it good enough to remember.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
there are 2 chain guides, 2 tensioners, 2 tensioner arms... right? at least thats what i was informed they were from motoralldata.com and "how to rebuild the 4.6" but yeah i know what you mean! :D

1 - 20 of 509 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.