Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, I don't mean driving it...lol

I'm having to swap balancers on my new engine, to make my pulleys and junk work. It has a good ARP bolt in it, with some superhuman loctite. We had a 2' cheater bar on it, with a 3' piece of chromoly over that, and still couldn't budge it. We had so much torque on it, we had to put supports under the engine, because it almost folded the square tubing on the engine stand.

SOOOOOOOO...how hard can I crank on this thing, without tearing up a main bearing?

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
on that motor? probably a lot more then you can produce.

I would use a impact gun, or give ol' woody a ring.

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Impact won't touch it. Not even close. Called Woody, and I don't think he realizes how tight I'm talking. This much torque on the front main bearing is a bad thing.

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
damn, so its basically seized?

have you tried to heat it up, or cool it down? I.E. a torch?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I don't think you'll be able to damage it either. I would get it off by any means necessary, it's got to come off right? Then pull the front main cap if you're worried and have a look at it.

I would be scared to heat it tho. If you get it hot enough you could damage the front main seal, or even a bearing. Not sure on that, but that's what I would be worried about.

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
well don't go crazy with the torch, haha. idk, I would be getting a impact gun

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Food for thought, LS1 engines require 225-240 ft lbs on the balancer bolt which is damn near double what these cars take, and those are aluminum blocks.

·