Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would happen if you put forged pistons and rods on the stock crank without honing the block or anything? Is this possible or would you have to balance the crank for the new pistons and rods?

·
Registered
929 Posts
If your doing something that requires forged pistons and/or rods, why wouldn't you balance the recip assy anyway? The block should be honed to help the new rings seat, but also forged pistons expand more than hypereutectic/cast. I've always mic'd each cylinder and finished honed to the specific piston clearance (which is greater for forged) for each individual cylinder (each piston fitted to it's own cylinder). It seems to me if you're spending the cash for forged internals, you shouldn't cut corners on the assembly. Machinework is 90% of what makes a strong & reliable motor!

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
It costs under $400 to have it balanced and honed to spec.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
What would happen if you put forged pistons and rods on the stock crank without honing the block or anything? Is this possible or would you have to balance the crank for the new pistons and rods?
That's spending money to do it half assed. Kind of like spending money on a hooker to just get a BJ.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
That's spending money to do it half assed. Kind of like spending money on a hooker to just get a BJ.
yeeeeah aaand?

seriously thou. unless you have the hone to give you .0035 with proper grit for rings(balancing not as important) just take it to a machine shop. If you just put it together, there is no way of judging how long it will last

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
yeah whats wrong with bj's?

·
Registered
929 Posts

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
400 tops prob, and its not a time consuming process, drop it off on a monday, and a decent machine shop should be able to knock that out by wed for you.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well it looks like I'll be looking for a machine shop then. Could I do the weight balancing part myself to save some money and just leave the crank balancing to them?

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Well it looks like I'll be looking for a machine shop then. Could I do the weight balancing part myself to save some money and just leave the crank balancing to them?
Do you have a connecting rod balancer and gram scale? If so, yes. If not, leave it to the machine shop.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
yeah dude i dont know how much experince you have but if you havent even built a short block before i dont know if i would go cuttin on connecting rods. If you shave the wrong direction the rods are junk.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts