Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...

Everytime I make a right turn theres a whining/knocking sound. I had a guy from the local mechanic shop take a quick glance at it without putting it on the lift. He said it could be the ball joints. He did mention that the ball join boot (?) was dry and could need replacing.

So... was lookin at Steeda X-2 Ball Joint Kit at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! since my car is lowered.

Does this sound like it could be the problem? Would the Steeda Ball Joints give me a noticeable improvement in handeling over stock since I am lowered? Any input will be much appreciated!

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
I believe Steeda states that you need to install the bumpsteer kit with the X2's. I've got both. Kinda hard to say performance wise how good they are, my ball joints were garbage when I replaced them. The boots were deteriorated as hell, so clearly no grease inside. So from that the Steeda parts were a huge improvement. I like the adjustability of the bumpsteer kit, sadly I haven't gotten to mess with it as much as I want to with the lack of a garage and all at my condo.

Being that the X2's and the bumpsteer kit are made for lowered cars, I thought and still think that they are a good idea over stock replacements.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
And with what you describe it sounds like ball joints causing that noise... it's easy to tell, even without raising the car you should be able to inspect the boot on the bottom of the ball joint, if its got any type of hole, cut, etc. then there's prolly little to no grease inside, which means metal on metal contact and thus the noise. They go out normally around 100k miles.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And with what you describe it sounds like ball joints causing that noise... it's easy to tell, even without raising the car you should be able to inspect the boot on the bottom of the ball joint, if its got any type of hole, cut, etc. then there's prolly little to no grease inside, which means metal on metal contact and thus the noise. They go out normally around 100k miles.
Ya, im gonna have the local shop put it on a lift and check everything out on the front end. Im at 76k miles, but with lowering and not having CC Plates I prolly pushed it into premature failure.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Yeah they prolly went on their own. Ford's are known for these things going out, happens on every model. I'm sure lowering doesn't help their cause but they go eventually anyway. Feel around underneath the spindle to see if the boot is busted on the ball joint, it's really easy to tell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts