Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I spent the 30 or so minutes to install my shift bracket tonight. I've got a steeda short throw on the way as well, but for some reason it's taking a lifetime to get here. Let me be clear on something...I was skeptical of the results with a stock shifter. Thinking that it may be noticeable but chances are it'll shift stock. I'm glad I was wrong. There is still some slop in the shifter, to be expected with the stocker still being there, but the shifts are much, let me rephrase that...MUCH MUCH more direct with the bracket in there. The shifter seems to have a more definitive direction than it did 45 minutes ago lol. I'm very much looking forward to installing the sts as soon as it gets here.

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
Cool man. I can't wait to get a new shifter for mine.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are direct links to the manufacturers. I'm not sure if I would recommend where I got mine from. I've had issues with their customer service thus far, but they seem to be handling this quite well. American Muscle sells both parts, as do quite a few other distributors. AM seems to be a lil high priced compared to a lot of the others on the price of the steeda shifter. They are on par with the rest of the industry on price of the bracket. Free shipping is a nice plus.

My reasoning for not going with the Barton shifter...I think the stock throw is only slightly too long. There is still some slop left in the stock shifter and seeing as there really is not a "stock" upgrade, I figured the steeda to be the closest thing.

Barton Shift Bracket

Steeda Tri-Ax

Swervo - I'll trade ya...intake manifold/tune for shifter lol...oh wait, in about a week I'll have it all anyway, nevermind :D.

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
Swervo - I'll trade ya...intake manifold/tune for shifter lol...oh wait, in about a week I'll have it all anyway, nevermind :D.
No thanks sir, I'm waiting on MGW to finally come out with theirs.

·
Registered
577 Posts
No thanks sir, I'm waiting on MGW to finally come out with theirs.
+1 and they said you don't have to drop the transmission :pimp Thought about calling to see if I could get on the list but just being lazy about it..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drop the transmission???????? What shifter do you have to do that with? No where is it said that you have to drop the trans to install a shifter with the 6 speeds. I've had my stock shifter out just to see how it was...this is not a hard job AT ALL. Hardest part is not having a lift and laying on your back trying to get your arms around the driveshaft and exhaust to get to the bracket.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Drop the transmission???????? What shifter do you have to do that with? No where is it said that you have to drop the trans to install a shifter with the 6 speeds. I've had my stock shifter out just to see how it was...this is not a hard job AT ALL. Hardest part is not having a lift and laying on your back trying to get your arms around the driveshaft and exhaust to get to the bracket.
I believe that's what he meant.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so now that I've got the shifter installed along with the bracket...I'm in love with this car all over again. Firm, precise shifts. Not feeling like I'm going to punch the HVAC controls...can't get too much better than this...oh wait, it's about to. Next Tuesday there will be a Boss intake manifold on this thing :D. Swervo made me do it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The list will never stop growing for me. After the intake manifold is installed, I'm starting to look towards June and a McCleod twin disc. Beyond that is long tubes, a pro charger, built motor, etc etc...

Let's just say you guys will get to know me pretty well. You'll also start to figure out that big just isn't big enough. I shoot for larger than life type numbers, although that's going to be a little more difficult now that I'm the little fish in the shark tank as oppose to being the shark in the kiddie pool.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The shifter we were talking about is a full replacement. If the linkage was going to be changed then it was rumored you would have to drop or at least lower the transmission. It wasn't simply changing the bracket. I haven't had it out but just following it in forums. :eek: Now they say the stock linkage will stay in place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts