Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my plugs and I dropped a sparkplug with the spark plug socket and it landed perfectly on the starter wires and it started to smoke from the battery...well I disconnected the battery and the battery was boiling..the sparkplug socket inner rubber was melted onto the sparkplug and the socket almost welded onto the starter...I cleaned up the starter. When I go to connect the battery back up...ya think my car will be ok? Or did I just mess everything up?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Holy **** good thing you acted fast. There is a fuse 100 or 120 amp in the factory box under the hood that is supposed to save your ass if something like this happens. If you blew it you will know. Sounds like it should have blown if you were drawing that much amperage to make the battery boil.
I've seen a battery explode. Its ugly.

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy **** good thing you acted fast. There is a fuse 100 or 120 amp in the factory box under the hood that is supposed to save your ass if something like this happens. If you blew it you will know. Sounds like it should have blown if you were drawing that much amperage to make the battery boil.
I've seen a battery explode. Its ugly.
What fuse?

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

v6 problems..... lol jk you should be fine.
I just started it, at first it was slow to crank...now its fine! New oil and new plugs, car feels better

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
When I go to connect the battery back up...ya think my car will be ok? Or did I just mess everything up?
I'd suggest popping the caps and checking the water levels in the cells before reconnecting the battery.

What fuse?
The mega-fuse on the side of the power distribution block.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've seen something similar happen on a Fox Body with a B&M/Powerdyne supercharger that relocated the alternator down low. It was a friend's car and he had it in his car audio shop. He was pulling a header off to have a leak fixed and when he jacked the car up the sway bar ended up making contact with the alternator. Almost instantly the insulation on the 0 gauge power wires to two batteries vaporized in to green smoke. It was a rather scary situation.

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd suggest popping the caps and checking the water levels in the cells before reconnecting the battery.

The mega-fuse on the side of the power distribution block.
Well I didn't do that because I saw your post too late, the battery gauge on the car fluctuates between halfway and 1/4 low. Should I take it to the auto store to have it checked out?

·
Registered
678 Posts
I don't think that would be a bad idea.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Well I didn't do that because I saw your post too late, the battery gauge on the car fluctuates between halfway and 1/4 low. Should I take it to the auto store to have it checked out?
Or, assuming it's a serviceable battery, pop the caps and check the water level as suggested above. You'll almost certainly need to top off the cells. Cross your fingers while doing so, and you may get a little more life out of your battery.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
LMAO i droped a wrench on my battery teminals and it made all sorts of noise/smoke and i shocked the **** out of myself. car should be fine. Also for a tall skinny guy like me i learned that after a 7 or so beers i should stop working on the car for the night
You shocked yourself on 12V DC? That's impressive.

I would have them check it out. Chances are you fried one of the cells.

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Or, assuming it's a serviceable battery, pop the caps and check the water level as suggested above. You'll almost certainly need to top off the cells. Cross your fingers while doing so, and you may get a little more life out of your battery.
Can the auto store do that? And its under warranty. And I cant find that mega-fuse if it's blown do I replace it?

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Can the auto store do that? And its under warranty.
Anyone could. Will an auto parts store employee do that for you? Not likely. A far more probable scenario is that they will push for replacement.

And I cant find that mega-fuse if it's blown do I replace it?
Follow the alternator output cable to the power distribution box. If the alternator is charging the battery (quickly verifiable with a voltmeter), it isn't blown. If I'm remembering the circuit correctly, a short at the starter won't blow the mega-fuse anyway.

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone could. Will an auto parts store employee do that for you? Not likely. A far more probable scenario is that they will push for replacement.

Follow the alternator output cable to the power distribution box. If the alternator is charging the battery (quickly verifiable with a voltmeter), it isn't blown.
Well I drove the car last light for 30miles then I drove it for about 10miles right now. The.fluctuating seemed to stop. On the battery gauge

1 - 17 of 17 Posts