Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery light flickers or sumtimes even stays on under "heavy acceleration" batt stays charged, starts fine, replaced terminals, could it slightly be over charging? Would a high voltage make the light come on?? Thanks

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
i had same issue, not sure what it is. mine went away after i put my udp's on. now that i am going back to the stock set up, i am wondering if it will do the same thing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had same issue, not sure what it is. mine went away after i put my udp's on. now that i am going back to the stock set up, i am wondering if it will do the same thing.
Let me know if it does... It's not realy bothering me to much jus was making sure wasn't gona blow up my battery or any thing!!

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
The battery light comes one when your not holding/charging the battery fully. Whens the last time you changed your belt? Id at least remove it and clean it, dirt and stuff can cause it to slip. If that doesnt help and your belt is in good shape it may be your altenator.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
^^^+1 - haven't experienced on the stang yet,,but on all my other cars, when the batt. light came on it was a charging issue,,usually too low,,and usually the alternator was the culprit. Or an external voltage regulator if we have one on these cars.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an underdrive kit and I think it's making my tensener go out it wobbles alot! When i hit 3rd I hear a a slight belt squek, the belt is brand new tho???

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
Let me know if it does... It's not realy bothering me to much jus was making sure wasn't gona blow up my battery or any thing!!
not sure. my car was doing it on the stock pulley's when i was at 5k+ rpms and went away when i shifted to next gear.

i had the same issue but after i changed my altenator it went away, i guess its letting you know your altenator is going.
i still on the the same alt. it is the factory alt as well.

·
Registered
997 Posts
My battery light flickers or sometimes even stays on under "heavy acceleration" batt stays charged, starts fine, replaced terminals, could it slightly be over charging? Would a high voltage make the light come on?? Thanks
mine dose the same thing. been doing it since i had the car ...3 years ago.
alt hasnt quit. my radar detector has a battery voltage monitor. and it says my battery is fine. i dont think its the alt. because like i said its been fine for the last 3 years.
it only blinks under hard acceleration.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
It could easily be a belt slipping slightly, dropping charge in the battery for a moment and causing the light to flicker.

Do your headlights or interior lights dim at an idle?

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
The battery light comes one when your not holding/charging the battery fully. Whens the last time you changed your belt? Id at least remove it and clean it, dirt and stuff can cause it to slip. If that doesnt help and your belt is in good shape it may be your altenator.
It could easily be a belt slipping slightly, dropping charge in the battery for a moment and causing the light to flicker.

Do your headlights or interior lights dim at an idle?
Like i said clean the belt if its in good shape before you start spending money.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
I would check the diode ripple. More than likely a diode is starting to fail.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
When my alt crapped out last month it did same thing. But it didn't blink it stayed on.

So i would go with what the other people said, check for belt slippage. Or a loose pulley, and bad tensioner should be replaced even if not the problem. I had one rip out of timing cover before... that was not fun.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was messing around with my buddy in his gto last night and noticed when I hit it around 4500-5000 to red line it would flicker and my head lifts would dim.. So tommarow I'm gona change that tensioner and see what that does!

·
Registered
780 Posts
this is really weird mine does the complete opposite of wat you guys are saying, it usually comes on after i drive it for about 15 mins then everything goes dim and the needle drops to like 1/4 but when i accelerate to about 4-5k it turns off and everything gets normal

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
that sounds like the alternator is going out. Not charging except when in the upper RPMs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.