Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
for the people that run low ET's....

do you think this is a necessary modification?

I'm waiting on my bass to sell, but when it does, I'll have funds for my 6point rollbar, and a little extra left over.

I was thinking battle boxes might be a good idea considering the amount of power ill be producing, and the ET im shooting for.

If it matters my car is very structurally sound, the car had a AOD with 2.73 gears when I bought it, and even though I beat on the car, I don't see and visible damage when I looked it over while installing the exhaust a month or so ago. I already have maximum motorsport full length subframe connectors, and UPR upper and lower control arms.

so what do you say? worth while mod, or should I put the money toward racing seats.

Thanks,
Rob

·
902 Posts
do upper and lower control arms have heim joints? if so those will be able to take up the twist that over time messes up the torque boxes.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
If you have the money and your pulling the seat and carpet out of the car anyways to do the cage install why not put battle boxes in and completely wipe out any possibility of cracking, stretching or other wise destroying your torque boxes.. I guess i'd think of it like doing a hci swap while keeping the stock throttle body or something like that

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I've seen guys make their own plates and weld them in. Probably cost you $20 in materials and I believe you just bolt it in and weld them. I hear a lot of stories about how the car tears itself apart right there.

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do upper and lower control arms have heim joints? if so those will be able to take up the twist that over time messes up the torque boxes.
no there solid. they have poly bushings, but not on the diff, still have stock old rubber on there :(

If you have the money and your pulling the seat and carpet out of the car anyways to do the cage install why not put battle boxes in and completely wipe out any possibility of cracking, stretching or other wise destroying your torque boxes.. I guess i'd think of it like doing a hci swap while keeping the stock throttle body or something like that
Thats kinda the way I was looking at it. while I have the interior torn out, it would be a nice thing to do while im there.

·
902 Posts
yes you should do them if they are solid at the torque boxes. what realy wears them out and makes them stretch/tear is from the twisting action. with heim joints they provide more movement than solid ones with bushings.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've seen guys make their own plates and weld them in. Probably cost you $20 in materials and I believe you just bolt it in and weld them. I hear a lot of stories about how the car tears itself apart right there.
made my own,plates on the underside and plates on the inside of the car with bolts and minor welding you dont want to go crazy with the welder its not needed you can weaken the factory metal but mine worked perfect and it is cheap

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
made my own,plates on the underside and plates on the inside of the car with bolts and minor welding you dont want to go crazy with the welder its not needed you can weaken the factory metal but mine worked perfect and it is cheap
good to know.

the guy im having do all the welding fabricates all kinds of stuff for the jeeps he mainly works on. he makes custom bumpers from scratch. So we will have to look it over and decide what to do.

he also makes a good chunk of his money by selling 8.8 rearends and installing them into jeeps. he can tear out a 8.8 in 20min or less he said from start to finish. So he will be able to handle this job with ease.

he installed/welded in my subframe connectors, only charged me a case of beer, haha. so he is a cool friend to have.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Iv seen what you've been doing, watching all the videos (joined your youtube channel). Im not a stalker or anything just like the budget minded approach. You know that your going to keep modding and beating the vert and if anything an ounce of prevention is way cheaper then a torn out box and welding in anger as opposed to weding for a reason is always better. Dude your doing the Cage, and for the $80 for the kit I think its worth it. Keep up the awsome vids and thanks for helping me not destroy my speedo gear on its install.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i beat on my car all the time, that being said i installed the upr upper and lower reinforcements. The fastest the cars gone since i've owned it was 12.1. shooting for low 11's high 10's this year.

Car doesn't have a cage yet but its been ordered from wolfe.

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Iv seen what you've been doing, watching all the videos (joined your youtube channel). Im not a stalker or anything just like the budget minded approach. You know that your going to keep modding and beating the vert and if anything an ounce of prevention is way cheaper then a torn out box and welding in anger as opposed to weding for a reason is always better. Dude your doing the Cage, and for the $80 for the kit I think its worth it. Keep up the awsome vids and thanks for helping me not destroy my speedo gear on its install.
haha, thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm talking with my buddy, sending him pictures to see if he can fabricate it, or if I should just buy the kit.

i beat on my car all the time, that being said i installed the upr upper and lower reinforcements. The fastest the cars gone since i've owned it was 12.1. shooting for low 11's high 10's this year.

Car doesn't have a cage yet but its been ordered from wolfe.
cool

Buy a hardtop
I was expecting you to say "160 pounds bro!!!" ;)

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol what i was thinking
I've thought about it many times. But I like my 'vert. its unique. Even with a set of monkey bars in the interior.

only one other fast convertibe I've ever seen at the track, and he was running high 11's.:cool:

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
do it phaggot its not expensive but a torn torque box is

1 - 15 of 15 Posts