Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
IG: opiesvt
8,782 Posts
Not worth it unless you have some kind of forced induction (turbo/blower).

If I had an extra 350 bucks lying around, I'd put my money towards something else.

You might get a little better throttle response but then again it could be a placebo. It's like adding oil to
your car using a funnel.. You can have the hugest, 5 ft wide cup to pour oil into, but it still has to go through the smaller hole at the bottom. If you found a way to force oil through the funnel, that's where a bigger-sized hole at the bottom of the funnel (throttle body) would make a difference.

What are your current bolt-ons? Maybe I or someone else can give advice on a better way to spend the money..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not worth it unless you have some kind of forced induction (turbo/blower).

If I had an extra 350 bucks lying around, I'd put my money towards something else.

You might get a little better throttle response but then again it could be a placebo. It's like adding oil to
your car using a funnel.. You can have the hugest, 5 ft wide cup to pour oil into, but it still has to go through the smaller hole at the bottom. If you found a way to force oil through the funnel, that's where a bigger-sized hole at the bottom of the funnel (throttle body) would make a difference.

What are your current bolt-ons? Maybe I or someone else can give advice on a better way to spend the money..
Current bolt-ons are 3.73 gears, Cold air intake, Catless xpipe flowmaster 40s, diabo sport predator tune

I got about 1500 to spend can't do long tube headers or cams live in cali

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Well i'm trying to get the most out of my 2v as I can with bolt ones since I live in California there's 91 good reviews on this from American muscle is it worth the money I know it won't get it a lot but as long as I get better throttle response ill be happy

BBK 78mm Mustang Throttle Intake (96-04 GT) 1780 - Free Shipping!
Matt,

A throttle body is a great Mod! It won't gain you tons of power by itself, but it's an awesome Platform Modification and increases your throttle response greatly. A Throttle Intake incorporates a high flow intake plenum and a larger 78mm BBK throttle body all in one great performing unit. This set up is a direct bolt-on item and is good for about 12 to 15 horsepower!

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dan

·
Registered
480 Posts
Direct from AM's site and the product description:
Please Note. A 78mm throttle body works great on a heavily modified or supercharged GT mustang, because stock or mildly modified GT's do not flow air enough to benefit from the larger Throttle Body. Technical Note. This BBK product is not legal for use in emission restrictive states.

Aren't you in CA? If so this isn't C.A.R.B approved.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
A 78mm TB will not do much for you at all, performance-wise, might even be worse than stock. You will get better throttle response, but unless your car is heavily modified, and/or blown, like Lethal said, you wont see any power difference, IMO.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Direct from AM's site and the product description:
Please Note. A 78mm throttle body works great on a heavily modified or supercharged GT mustang, because stock or mildly modified GT's do not flow air enough to benefit from the larger Throttle Body. Technical Note. This BBK product is not legal for use in emission restrictive states.

Aren't you in CA? If so this isn't C.A.R.B approved.
yeah ill use till its smog time and just take it right off then put it right back on after

·
8,782 Posts
If you're running a catless x-pipe, why is the throttle body an issue? Do you clamp in cats when it needs an inspection?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're running a catless x-pipe, why is the throttle body an issue? Do you clamp in cats when it needs an inspection?
Throttle body an issue? Its not I just don't know if its worth the money and iv been hearing good things about the C&L plenum combined with the 75mm accufab.
Ill just throw the stock mid pipe back on with the 6 cats when smog time comes.

·
8,782 Posts
Idunno...they look the same. I think you'd be safe either way, being that your car is within the specified years.

If I were you, I'd go with AmericanMuscle.com. Only reason I say that is the reputation they have. I have yet to buy anything from Stage3.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
You already have gears and the easy bolt-ons, as a fellow CAmmunist I'd recommend spending that $1500 on weight reduction and/or suspension. You'll see more performance gain for your dollar out of either of those than you will with the minimal engine modifications we can do.

Either that or keep pinching your pennies until you can afford a blower. I'd go with a centri, though; CARB-approved positive displacement superchargers are $$$$.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think the C&L plenum is a better option as you don't need the airflow the bbk gives you unless you are going FI. I think it has a eo number too.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Cams aren't emissions friendly?
Definitely not if you have any sort of overlap. Blower cams can pass the sniffer, but if the smog tech can tell that the cam isn't stock, they'll want to see a CARB number for it, and I think technically you're supposed to have those numbers clearly posted inside the engine bay (all CARB-approved parts come with a sticker that you're supposed to put somewhere visible).

How much are cams going to be worth with an elsewise stock top-end?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You already have gears and the easy bolt-ons, as a fellow CAmmunist I'd recommend spending that $1500 on weight reduction and/or suspension. You'll see more performance gain for your dollar out of either of those than you will with the minimal engine modifications we can do.

Either that or keep pinching your pennies until you can afford a blower. I'd go with a centri, though; CARB-approved positive displacement superchargers are $$$$.
hmm so $370 for the c&l plenum and accufab 75mm throttle body isent too bad from american muscle probably get the steeda underdrive pulleys as well then be done with bolt ons I just wanna get the most out of it

Yeah I really wanna just get a kenne bell but $5000 can go towards a down payment towards a new 5.0

·
needs more boost
4,897 Posts
It won't hurt performance at all op. You see people running 75mm throttle bodies on stock stangs all the time it's not like that 3mm difference is going to kill your car. Like AMDan was saying it'll increase throttle response a little bit but you won't really see any major gains from it. If you plan on going with forced induction down the road I say go for it. That's what I did and I don't regret it at all.

·
BTM AutoSport
2,710 Posts
it's not really worth it on your car at this point. hell my last setup i got cams before anything else, and then added a JLT RAI, Accufab plenum, and 75mm t/b. I saw less than 10rwhp/10rwtq on the dyno. doesn't really do much.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts