Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been dozens of suspension posts-comments in this section and people asking what do you think about this set up vs that, but I have a stupid question due to (what i believe was) a stupid answer I received from American Muscle yesterday when I called to order some parts. I have a 2013 GT and want to lower the car. Seeing as how my girlfriend (god bless her soul) was nice enough to give me a $250 giftcards to AM for christmas I figured I'd start there first.

I was under the impression if I used 05-10 MM caster camber plates, 05-10 struts/shocks and 05-10 springs the combination would fit in my 13 GT. (same concept as Ford Racings Handling Pack for the 05-13).

When I called I was told I could not do that. When I asked why, the sales person advised me that the longer 05-10 struts would probably hit the hood of my car. REALLY?

Please... Can some one just let me know what I am missing here?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There seems to be less options. American Muscle only sells the Ford Racing Dampeners or the Eibach Dampeners.. I would love a set of Tokico or Konis.. Do they make a 11-13 specific set of shocks/struts?

·
Lurker
296 Posts
You can run the 05-10 parts, i currently have 05-10 suspension parts on my 2012 cause koni hadnt released a 2011+ specific damper yet (they have 2011+ available now). I have no issues with hood clearance and the koni dampers though i have steeda hd camber plates not MM.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed.. Wish it was a universal giftcard at this point. I've purchased several items from AM which is why she knew the website for the giftcard..

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Meaning do koni/tokico make 11-13 specific struts**. Just wanted to clarify
What's your end goal for the suspension?

Koni does for certain. I wouldn't go with anyone other than Koni for shocks/struts personally.

Unless the 13 is drastically different from the 11-12 then yes you can use the 05-10 shocks/struts with 05-10 CC plates. You can use whichever springs you want however. I'm personally running 05-10 Koni Sport Shocks/Struts, BMR Springs, and the GT500 Upper Strut mounts and have nothing but compliments for that setup.

Call Kelly at BMR and he can set you up with exactly what you need and point you in the right direction based on what your end goal is.

Buy your adj panhard rod and other stuff through AM to use up those gift cards.

I'm also sure that Whiskey will chime in here soon to give some advice.

In the end there's nothing wrong with AM and I buy just about everything through them but they did give you a bit of bad advice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a reason you chose the steeda plates over the MM? If I do switch to the 05-10 can I reuse the top rubber spring perch (between the spring and camber plate) from my 13 or do I need to order a 05-10 specific one?

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Is there a reason you chose the steeda plates over the MM? If I do switch to the 05-10 can I reuse the top rubber spring perch (between the spring and camber plate) from my 13 or do I need to order a 05-10 specific one?
You can reuse that isolator.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry I did forget that- I use this car daily.. I drag it once/twice a year for giggles and road course it once/twice to take out some aggression.. I drive in NJ on their wonderful *cough cough* roadways and like to see how fast I can take exit ramps before my girlfriend lets out her high pitched squeals of dis-satisfaction.. I do drive like an ***hole or should I say I drive my mustang everyday the way it should be. I'm looking for a nice increase in handling and a great increase in appearance.. All while not breaking my bank account open with a pile of dynamite..

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Sounds like you and I had the same end goals. Check out my setup in my signature, I think you'd be more than pleased with it, except I'd go with Koni Streets instead of Sports. The Streets are non-adjustable but ride like Sports on the lowest setting which would fair pretty well for you with the road conditions, I rarely ever adjust mine to be firmer unless I attack some nice mountain roads. Also they're a good bit cheaper. I think Koni does a 25% off sale in the spring so if you could wait a couple months it'd be to your advantage, financially. Also the BMR springs are going to offer the best ride quality of just about any lowering spring on the market.

Here's my drop with my setup. Not the best picture to show it but it helps you determine what you're looking for.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
That's what the forums are for....and thanks man!

·
I can haz tune?
104 Posts
jdos, what's the drop? Do you worry about pinion angle? I was going to go with a similar setup, including adjustable UCA's and a pinion angle finder to get it PERFECT

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
Agreed.. Wish it was a universal giftcard at this point. I've purchased several items from AM which is why she knew the website for the giftcard..
13GbStang,

I'm sorry about the misinformed information you got when calling in! We've recently hired some new Customer Service Reps to help answer all of the calls we get, since we're going through some growing pains at moment. Anyways, I'm going to have the phone records pulled and find out who talked to you and make sure they have some more training/schooling before something like this happens again.

You were correct that 05-10 struts will work on 11+ Mustangs with a new strut mount. So, your original suspension plans should work just fine. If you have anymore questions about our products or which components are required, I would be happy to be of assistance. Just shoot me a PM and I'll get back to your within 24 business hours!

I hope this hasn't ruined your impression/relationship with AM. I really want to keep you as a loyal customer and do business again in the near future. Again, let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

Shane

·
Stew
1,560 Posts

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
jdos, what's the drop? Do you worry about pinion angle? I was going to go with a similar setup, including adjustable UCA's and a pinion angle finder to get it PERFECT
I didn't measure before and after. I always get too excited and forget to do stuff like that. lol My best estimate would be 1.4" in the front and 1.3" in the rear.
I didn't buy a UCA and don't have any issues after 20k miles. It is however on the list in the future but I'll likely go with a 1 pc Alum DS.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts