Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bell housing bolt that holds my transmission dipstick is missing..what is the exact size of that bolt so i an buy a new one and I cant reach it from the topside will I be able to slip it in from the from the underside of the car without dropping my exhaust system? Ive looked at it and it and my hand wont get in there..will a couple of 3/8 drive extensions and a u-joint get it??

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
You should be able to get to it no problem from the under side. Extensions and a swivel are always handy. I'm not sure on the size though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should be able to get to it no problem from the under side. Extensions and a swivel are always handy. I'm not sure on the size though.
Will I have to pull the exhaust? The other bolts are 13mm but the one that holds the trans dipstick must be different, I tried a 13mm and it was too small but that was only what it felt like, I couldnt get my hand down in there all the way so Im not sure. I had to bend my hand into a pretzel to even get close to the hole, its a bitch to get at!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The thread size will be 8 or 10 mm. All the bell housing bolts should be the same size, so remove another one and take it to a hardware store to check the thread.

I believe you will want to drop down the converter assembly. It should then be easy to get that bolt from underneath the car. I would recommend using a gear wrench.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The thread size will be 8 or 10 mm. All the bell housing bolts should be the same size, so remove another one and take it to a hardware store to check the thread.

I believe you will want to drop down the converter assembly. It should then be easy to get that bolt from underneath the car. I would recommend using a gear wrench.
I got custom divorced duals welded on right after the converters, that means I gotta pull the passenger side unit leaving only the header. When I dropped the engine in there during a re build, I missed that bolt and didnt find my mistake until later. I had either lost the bolt or it never had one in it. I had so many different things on my mind at the time and i was tired as hell. But looking back on it, I could have sworn that some of the bellhousing bolts were different leangths..

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You shouldn't have to pull your mid pipe. Just make sure you have a few 6-8 inch extensions and 2 swivels.
well I can SEE the bolt hole from underneath so I guess that means I should be able to reach if as long as I have the stuff..I need another swivel and another extension..I cant reach it with what I have now.

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. My torque converter went out and I forgot to tighten the bolt up. I could reach it from the bottom by hand but I couldn't get a wrench, or socket up there. So I borrowed some extensions and swivels from a friend and I was avle to get it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts