Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Enthusiast
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently blew the intake manifold in my Crown Victoria, so I am forced to drive my '84 Mustang SVO in near zero temps...

The mustang does fine when there is no snow or ice, BUT - When I first start the mustang, the RPMs go up and down like shown in the video.

It idles this way for about 10 minutes before returning to a normal 1k RPM idle.
I just wanna know for sure that everything is alright, the entire engine shakes while doing this idle, I just wanna know I'm not missing something important..

Besides that, this mustang has saved my butt several times! Its more reliable then any other car in my family!

1984 Ford Mustang SVO - Cold Start - Idling - YouTube

·
Enthusiast
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Josh!!

It's a fun little car! $1,200 got me this little baby.. I just wish I didn't have to drive her in the salt.. :(

·
Registered
756 Posts
You need to get exhaust on that thing as soon as its possible. Not that expensive to get something put together. Also looks like you have the stock intercooler hoses, you should get those replaced and go over your vacuum system for any leaks and seal any potentials.

Back in the day I used to DD my old SVO( 8+ years ago), had a set of snow tires specifically for winter and it got around better than most. Nicknamed it my little snow bunny during the snow season, lol.

·
Registered
756 Posts
One thing you can do so the open downpipe performance is there when you need it is do what I did. I ran a 3" dp into a cutout and then back into a flowmaster catback. I enjoy the sound of the flowmasters a lot better, but thats personal choice. Notice even though my car is cammed the engine is still smooth and not shaking. I have mentioned several things in your past threads to go over and I hope you find the time to do them. Here is a quick video of my car with that exhaust. Your revs should hold high until it settles in and then go down, fluctuation just shows an issue that needs resolved.

·
Banned
3,511 Posts
That's cold as hell. Winter tune may help. Sounds like it's having trouble finding a good idle, could be vac problems, maybe an IAC, etc

Agree on getting some kind of exhaust on it. You should take some video to show how it sounds with no exhaust on it first though ;)

The turbo itself ought to provide enough backpressure for the motor though.

·
Registered
756 Posts
The shaking is coming from lack of exhaust. Mine shook like crazy with open DP.

·
Enthusiast
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a quick Video of the SVO idling after being warmed up.

1984 Ford Mustang SVO Idling - YouTube

I know, I really need an exhaust. I was quoted $650 for a single pipe exhaust for this little SVO...

I can't see spending $650 when I got a dual exhaust for my Crown Vic for just $230...

I'll look into my IAC also.

·
Registered
756 Posts
You can get a regular catback and have the 3 inch dp ran back. I did mine for around $400 at a local exhaust shop.

·
Enthusiast
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can get a regular catback and have the 3 inch dp ran back. I did mine for around $400 at a local exhaust shop.
That's worth looking into..

I didn't wanna drive the SVO at all this winter. I had it stored in a heated garage under a cover... I was saving up money to work on it, but then my other car has to break down...

I might just go get that exhaust this week.. I might be stuck driving it for awhile.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I don't blame you for not wanting to drive it. Mine turned into a garage queen for the last 6-7 years I owned it. It sucks when you end up in a situation like that, but a guy has to do whats necessary.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Your car is running like that due to an improper cold tune. Honestly if you can tune it, all it needs is leaned up a little in those low temps. My car does tha same thing (N/A) because i have a stock tune and 17lb injectors. As soon as the O2 sensor warms up my car come right out of it. That being said, a little more back pressure from a muffler will promote the exhaust system heating to get it up to working O2 sensor temps. A better tune will do the trick though with the exhaust you have.

·
Registered
756 Posts
If his car has stock tune and it is stock then why would he need to tweak his tune? He needs to get his car into good working order before playing around with the ECM. The SVO ecm's are tuned nothing like the NA stuff.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
He has stated before that this car has had some work done to it. I assume it has had enough done to mess with the tune slightly. It sounds EXACTLY like my car when it idles cold, and its 100% due to too much fuel on mine.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Through further inspection, he said the intake and exhaust are different. Both can ave a slight affect. The exhaust being the bigger of the 2. I would bet that a tune would fix it. Plus he could unlock some potential power too.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Please lets just allow him to get his ducks in a row before getting into this.

There is no reason his car needs any ecm tinkering before it is in proper tune. There are specific steps needed to be taken before any modification can be done. First step is to get the car in proper mechanical operation before monkeying around with anything else. My car was MUCH more modified than his and had a decent sized cam and guess what, idled like a dream in the winter. The SVO ecm's are fairly good at compensation to a certain point.

·
Enthusiast
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
79'293stang- I completely agree. Face the issue of the exhaust before anything else.

I made an appointment at a local exhaust shop for this Thursday. If it can be done for under $500 I will do it.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Good Luck! Hopefully you can find a reasonable shop.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts