Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a long time, what's up guys.

Just finished replacing the serpentine belt on the mustang.... what a pain.

Basically I had to take the head unit completely off the block to A) get a breaker bar on the tensioner and B) get the belt down to the AC pulley

It took all day by myself.

Is this the easiest way? Just glad it is done (by old belt was missing an entire rib)

Thanks

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Can be done in an hour by yourself. Use pipe wrench on tensioner. Pull belt off pulleys. Unbolt blower bracket. Pull it about an inch away from the timing cover. Get the old belt out. Route new belt leaving it off the alternator or power steering pulley. Bolt the bracket back up. Use the pipe wrench on the tensioner to slip the belt over that last pulley. If you have a tight belt you may need to turn the motor over by hand using a socket/ratchet on the crank pulley in order to walk the belt onto that last pulley.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I can do the belt in like 10 mins. All I do is loosing 3 blower bracket bolts. Remove bolt and spacer that go to alt. That give me enought room to wiggle the belt. I don't have a big problem with my tensioner either. I have 3 bolt RR tumper tensioner as well.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Use a pipe wrench on the tensioner. And save the alternator pulley for last. I was able to take the blower bracket off, new belt on in like 25 mins. Worst part is snaking the belt between the bracket, the ribbed idler and smooth idler next to the blower pulley

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Here is a video I made a few years ago.

·
Registered
750 Posts
It takes me about 30 minutes on my procharger set-up. I have the long, rounded edge, smoove water pump pulley. I just replaced my belt about one hour ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts