Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God damn, I thought I was all set. I replaced the tensioner a while ago, put a duralast 108" belt on. I thought it was too big, but it served its purpose for a few months, then started to get belt slip. Id usually go 1-2 weeks then it would toss a rib.

Put a Gates Micro V 107.5" belt on, maybe for a month. Did some pulls in the car, last one I hit it in 2nd and heard the belt. The belt didnt jump over, just the closest rib to the timing cover tossed. WTF!

So basically, Im not ****ing around anymore. Time to get me a Riechard Racing Pulley. The Vortech pulleys suck because they dont have any shoulders. Go back to the Gates Micro V 107.5 belt because from what Ive heard/read the Micro V is the best for the RR pulleys.

Im gonna say **** it and do a tensioner too. Whats a good tensioner to use? Please, dont post $350 tensioners like the people on Modular Fords did a while ago. I just want a decent tensioner, if not stock alitte beefier.

Also, I think one of my idler pulleys was squeaking. It goes away after 5 mins of driving, could that cause it? I doubt it but figured Id ask.

Comeon Stal where you at!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help

Shaun

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
And people give me **** about how I couldn't get belts to stop ripping. I dont miss seeing that blower. sorry to here it bro! not worth the hassle IMHO

hope you figure it out man

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks man, its aggrivating as ****. Because putting the belt on sucks dick! I cant justify going turbo just for that......YET Lol.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
yeah man this is the kinda thing i was talking about as far as reasoning for selling my s/c kit...

nice vid! mine looks really close to that

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
took me 4 times and I sold it. That is I didn't like the power or how it came out. I was able to take the blower off and put a new belt on very quickly the last 2 times. It sucks b/c it was fine then did it again after so long...what a damn tease!

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
yeah man this is the kinda thing i was talking about as far as reasoning for selling my s/c kit...

nice vid! mine looks really close to that
I hear ya...its dumb on how easy it is to throw a belt. I wanted a fast and reliable car. And it wasnt doing either of those things. Sometimes you just gotta spend more to have a peace of mind

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
what kind of BOV do you have? car sounds good man.

p.s you guys talk like that belt issue is a common issue with superchargers... I have only really heard of you guys having issues with it.

·
Savage 2v
1,701 Posts
No tire spin?! That's all i have in 2nd gear :(
You texting your girlfriend inbetween those shifts? :p
Just messin man, hope you get the belt situation figured out! And 0949er, I think he has the Vortech mini-race bypass valve, that's what I have.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear ya...its dumb on how easy it is to throw a belt. I wanted a fast and reliable car. And it wasnt doing either of those things. Sometimes you just gotta spend more to have a peace of mind
I think your car was fast, it made good power for a stalled auto.

what kind of BOV do you have? car sounds good man.

p.s you guys talk like that belt issue is a common issue with superchargers... I have only really heard of you guys having issues with it.
Its a Greddy S BOV. Pretty sure its a knock off, but **** it, works good and sounds nice lol.

And agreed, not many people have belt issues. I have been myself. Theres plenty of people that havent had an issue.

No tire spin?! That's all i have in 2nd gear :(
You texting your girlfriend inbetween those shifts? :p
Just messin man, hope you get the belt situation figured out! And 0949er, I think he has the Vortech mini-race bypass valve, that's what I have.
Just some in 1st, these NT555Rs hook up nice.

And lmao! In all fairness to me, I was driving, holding the camera, shifting and watching the tach at the same time.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Who makes a good belt tensioner? Anyone know? I can replace it with an OEM one for $40. But if theres a beefier one, then Ill buy that.

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
I went with a gates belt and belt tensioner from oriely auto parts. I dont think its much "beffier" than the stock one though.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the one you did get was the stock Motorcraft one? **** this is pissing me off. Idk why it randomly tossed a rib. Must be the shitty duralast tensioner.

I can hear a squeak at for the first few minutes I drive. It must be the tensioner. I specifically remember, before when my belts were getting chewed up I could hear the tensioner squeaking away.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
I think your car was fast, it made good power for a stalled auto.
thanks man. It didn't make bad power just how it came on it was slow. Just sucks to lose so much torque so fast!

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Sounds to me like something isn't lined up correctly. Maybe that squeak your hearing is from an idler that the bearings are worn in causing the belt to jump off.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
man you may have to do what i did, i grinded off 3/4th of the tensoner stop. then i bought a real tight belt. just be sure to look from under the car cause if the belt is to tight the belt will rub on the tensoner its self. never got any belt slip which does eat belts up faster than you think. vortech pulleys are sharp on the ends where rr pulley ribs are flat and they have a real tall shoulders. now if your brackets are not perfectly strait you will tear a belt up real fast so it may help you get your head unit right.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know everything is lined up dead on. Ive checked and checked. Just today, I heard a loud squeaking sound when I started the car up, it was there like 2-3 days ago but very faint. Anyways, it was a lot louder til the car warmed up. Then went away. This is exactly what happend last time when the belt was getting torn up.

So stal, you think if I go with a RR pulley and replace the tensioner itll be better? And run a Gates Micro V belt with it. The one Im running now is this:

Gates Racing K061075 Micro-V AT Belt

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
when you pull the head unit off take a look all over the timing cover and see where you see belt dust. there are alot of spots where the belt can rub. also check for shaft play on the sc. i would look into not replacing the tensoner alone but swap out the pulley for a high quality one.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will do man, I heard it slapping around for a couple minutes. So Ill have to check.

And what pulley? The tensioner pulley or blower pulley?

I saw Thump tensioners, but man Im not spending $350 on one. The OEM one will work fine I would think. Theres plenty of guys with centris on the stock tensioners. I just happen to have bad luck or something lol.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
there is a 90mm pulley on the tensoner. it has a slight taper on it so put a nice flat pulley on there it may help

1 - 20 of 53 Posts