Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, quick question:
I put my car on jack stands, then put it in drive and let the wheels spin at low speeds (40km/h)
I noticed my rear wheels had a slight wobble to them, nothing crazy just very slight, is this normal, or is it posible my axle shaft or the flange could be bent?
Before I did this I grabbed each wheel and tried to lift up or down to see if maybe the bearing was bad, but no play up or down (but a little play in and out)

Also the rims are straight, they've been swapped to test.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Hey guys, quick question:
I put my car on jack stands, then put it in drive and let the wheels spin at low speeds (40km/h)
I noticed my rear wheels had a slight wobble to them, nothing crazy just very slight, is this normal, or is it posible my axle shaft or the flange could be bent?
Before I did this I grabbed each wheel and tried to lift up or down to see if maybe the bearing was bad, but no play up or down (but a little play in and out)

Also the rims are straight, they've been swapped to test.
Mine has a slight shimmy as well, but it drives fine. It's probably just a wheel that's not balanced perfectly. If you had a bent axle, you should be experiencing some side effects on the street.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was getting some vibrations at 60-65 mph, however my tires were gone, that's why I got new rubber. I haven't driven with the new tires at those speeds because I don't wanna damage them if the flange is bent and causing the tire to wobble. One side wobbles quite a bit, the other wobbles but it's not super bad, I'm thinking of replacing just the one axle, since I have a spare dorman axle here. My only concern is if there should be no wobble, then I don't wanna have to take it all apart again to replace the other axle.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok guys, got my doorman axle installed, now I have a question about assembly:
on the C-Clip one side is flat, the other has a slight taper, which side faces the side gear? Also the rubber o-ring on the axle shaft, does it go on the pinion side or side gear side.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
after putting in the dorman axle, that one side is perfect, no wobble at all! However with another spare axle (my original oem used) the passenger side still wobbles a bit. I checked the bearings and they look good, so I am stumped, could it be that I should buy another new axle?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought for sure my spare oem axle was still good. Besides the axle shaft what else can cause this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts