Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
MM's Amazon Man
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 auto GT and have been looking around trying to find some of the best possible mods for my car. It currently has a cold air intake, and a 70mm t/b. I also had aluminum u/d pulleys but i replaced them with the stock pulleys because they were such a headache. I mean the car is fast for a 4speed, it topped out the other day at 150. But i'm looking for a little more punch. Any ideas?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Gears, would really help...I've got 3:73's but alot of guys here swear by 4:10's on an auto.

get rid of the cats, weight reduction, performance tune,...

I've also added C&L plenum, Electric Water pump, Under drive pulleys, all of these mods free up small amounts of HP each, but put together its a decent increase.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Handhel tuner. If you a chasing a high top speed leave the gears stock.

·
Registered
343 Posts
long tube headers. It was a night and day difference for my car, especially since you already have the throttle body. Here's a pic to show you why...

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
I think the list for longtubes are shorter with an auto car vs a 5 or 6 speed. I could be wrong though

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Tuner for sure, that'll really tighten up your trans. Then gears, and most people agree that 4.10s are best for the auto due to the higher (numerically lower) gears compared to the manual trans.

EDIT: Also consider swapping to a Termi IRS

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Like others said if you are looking at fast by considering top speed gears shouldn't be on your list because your top speed will decrease with aftermarket gears i.e. 4.10s

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Like others said if you are looking at fast by considering top speed gears shouldn't be on your list because your top speed will decrease with aftermarket gears i.e. 4.10s
Unless you're planning on going 180 you're fine switching out gears.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Gears, Tuner, Shift Kit, Stall Converter, Trans Cooler. Once you have all those, you can start worrying about adding power. Until then, typical bolt-ons are pretty much a waste of time and some stuff like cams can actually even make you slower.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Stall, valve body, gears, DS, TB, PL, mid pipe, cat backs. That should be good for now.

·
MM's Amazon Man
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha, well I have no need to top out at 150 anymore so i think gears would be fine. As long as i get better acceleration, then i dont mind losing some top end speed. From what everyone is saying then i'm guessing 4:10s would be the best option?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
4.10's for sure. and you could still prolly get to 150 with 4.10's but it's not really needed. after that i'd go with a tuner so you can correct the speedo. then deff go with a stall/shift kit/trans cooler, that will be the most noticable mod on an auto.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
from what you have add a 4000 stall, 4.10 gears long tubes and a tune. You make it hook car will go well into the 12's. Proven time and time and time again.

Im one of the ones thats pro long tubes for the decent low-mid range gains in hp and torque

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
^^^ Listen to this crazy bastard! Doug, where are you these days, back in Florida?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts