Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a supercharged 01 GT, still on stock manifolds.

I have a stock crossmember, tried a K-member, did not like it, won't go back, I'll have a 1000hp motor before I worry about weight savings and I'm not road-racing.

What are the best long tube headers for my app? I'm definitely not looking for cheapest, ceramic coated is ok, so long as it's not the cheap speed shop crap that flakes off, would prefer SS if I could stay under the $600 mark, flexible on that though.

I will hand fabricate a SS exhaust from 304 J and or U mandrel bends, but I need headers first. Used SS is ok for the right price, if anyone has some for sale. Would prefer 3" collectors.

What's good, and what's junk? No ebay Chinese OBX crap!

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
Mac IMO is best and cheapest IMO like 550 for ceramic coated.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
if you want the best headers on the market then you want Kooks. if i were you id just get shorties though.

BBK let me down with their headers. actually, all their parts for that matter! **** BBK.
Kooks are the best, no question! Hookers r good.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
Don't get shorties.

get LT heads with a shorty pipe. What supercharger u running?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Don't get shorties.

get LT heads with a shorty pipe. What supercharger u running?
LTs really arent gonna do a whole lot for him... if ur installing them urself shorties r ur friend. if you have a tubular k-member it will help A LOT with the LT installation, but its still not worth it. shorties r cheaper, easier to install, take up less space, dont kill your ground clearance, and you wont see any less power.

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
What mid pipe you got? Id get matching brand long tubes.

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
LTs really arent gonna do a whole lot for him... if ur installing them urself shorties r ur friend. if you have a tubular k-member it will help A LOT with the LT installation, but its still not worth it. shorties r cheaper, easier to install, take up less space, dont kill your ground clearance, and you wont see any less power.
You dont see **** for shorties, you see def more with long tubes...... Especially boosted

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm lowered, little ground clearance, so anything hanging below the frame is going to catch concrete aprons...

I've read posts on turboforums of people losing power on Kooks, did not research enough to know if they were NA or forced, forced should be looking for free-flow as possible.

Termi blower on a 01 GT, built in house, back in 2007, think I was the first? Immediately after was a yellow 04 and then the Torqtech kit. From my stand-point, was not worth it, IMO, not demoting anyone.

Didn't Ford have a set of shorty SS's for around $300? I remember thinking it was an unreal price, are they worth buying, and are they still available?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Yeah, I'm lowered, little ground clearance, so anything hanging below the frame is going to catch concrete aprons...

I've read posts on turboforums of people losing power on Kooks, did not research enough to know if they were NA or forced, forced should be looking for free-flow as possible.

Termi blower on a 01 GT, built in house, back in 2007, think I was the first? Immediately after was a yellow 04 and then the Torqtech kit. From my stand-point, was not worth it, IMO, not demoting anyone.

Didn't Ford have a set of shorty SS's for around $300? I remember thinking it was an unreal price, are they worth buying, and are they still available?
i would not want to spend a ton on nice headers and then drag them down the road... but whoever said anything negative about Kooks headers is ****ing high!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i would not want to spend a ton on nice headers and then drag them down the road... but whoever said anything negative about Kooks headers is ****ing high!
Well taken, repeating what I read.

But last set of Hooker headers I bought were made in MEXICO, #1 I'm not supporting them either, #2 the quality showed.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Well taken, repeating what I read.

But last set of Hooker headers I bought were made in MEXICO, #1 I'm not supporting them either, #2 the quality showed.
if it were me id be getting a nice set of Kooks equal length shorties. they'll last longer than ur car and you wont lose clearance on your already lowered car.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Shorties will not as much power as lt's my macs never drag

You dont see **** for shorties, you see def more with long tubes...... Especially boosted
+1

if it were me id be getting a nice set of Kooks equal length shorties. they'll last longer than ur car and you wont lose clearance on your already lowered car.
You'd also be luckey to see 5hp with shorties.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
The OP said he wants 3" collectors, which MAC doesnt make.

You're going to have to shell out more than $600 for a set of nice ceramic coated or SS LT headers wiht a 3" collector

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
kooks do cost alot though...

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
800 bucks...eh idk..

1 - 20 of 51 Posts