Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys, i decided to do my exhaust setup before doing my suspension and wanted to know what the best exhaust setup to run to pass smog and to pass inspection tests if i ever got pulled over. I can't decide between a Mac catback or flowmaster Super 40's. Is there an x or h pipe out there that would pass all the CA laws? I really wanna run catless but it so isn't worth it if i got busted getting pulled over for having all the cats removed. Any recommendations i'd appreciate, thanks.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Any catback would pass i believe and as long as you get a catted mid pipe that will also pass. I am not 100% possitive on the mid pipe but someone with more info will chime in

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Catback youll be fine. Its the cats youll need. I kept my old h pipe and just put an o/r x on my gt i had, and now an o/r prochamber. When smog time comes, ill just swap them out. But really just get somethin with cats, x or h, your preference.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the stock h have 4 cats on it? So if i bought a catted x with the two cats on there i'd still pass smog and physical inspection even though the stock pipe has 4 cats?

Only thing i'm really worried about is the nazi police in my area that pull over for the smallest things. If this guy wanted to be an ass and look under my car i don't wanna fail anything on his inspection or be ticketed for something thats illegal. Are the x pipes out there CARB certified?

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
You have 2 pre cats and 2 cats. You should be fine with hi flo cats on an aftermarket mid pipe. They never looked under my car when i got smogged, so you could have no cats and if you pass somehow from the OBD and the sniffer then more power to you. But you should be fine with a catted x.

Get your car lowered and then they cant see anything under the car lol. I got pulled over and they didnt look under it thank god, cuz i wouldve been towed.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
I'd like to see him look under my car :D I cant even get a low pro jack under it. 3" of ground clearance

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
I had to use the small one in the trunk to get under it to lift it up a bit, so i can get the bigger jack under it lol

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
In terms of cali smog law, everything downstream of the last cat is totally open. There is a mandatory muffler law, and a 95db max, but they have *no* effect on passing california emissions. You can put on whatever catback you want.

In terms of headers, there are shorties with CARB numbers, but no long tubes.

Mid-pipe I'm not so sure about. I thought there were some with CARB numbers, BUT, they just passed the law at the beginning of the year that made it illegal to run anything but an OBD2 cat. That means high-flows will now make you fail the visual.

Of course, a lot of this is smog tech dependent. Pretty much every smog guy I've ever gone to has done everything they could to make the car pass.

Also, buying a catback is lame if you have a local muffler shop. You'll easily pay twice as much money to install it yourself.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
In terms of cali smog law, everything downstream of the last cat is totally open. There is a mandatory muffler law, and a 95db max, but they have *no* effect on passing california emissions. You can put on whatever catback you want.

In terms of headers, there are shorties with CARB numbers, but no long tubes.

Mid-pipe I'm not so sure about. I thought there were some with CARB numbers, BUT, they just passed the law at the beginning of the year that made it illegal to run anything but an OBD2 cat. That means high-flows will now make you fail the visual.

Of course, a lot of this is smog tech dependent. Pretty much every smog guy I've ever gone to has done everything they could to make the car pass.

Also, buying a catback is lame if you have a local muffler shop. You'll easily pay twice as much money to install it yourself.
So if i put a high flow x on there and a cop on a power trip saw that my stock pipe was gone i could get ticketed or towed away? Thats the main concern for me, i just realized i have a friend who has a friend that works at a smog shop that could probably easily pass the car for me when needed but its the police i'm worried about here. I'm terrible at working on cars and practically have no tools to do any of the work myself so taking it to a shop to get everything installed is practically the only option for me.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
So if i put a high flow x on there and a cop on a power trip saw that my stock pipe was gone i could get ticketed or towed away? Thats the main concern for me, a friend of a friend works at a smog shop that could probably easily pass the car for me when needed but its the police i'm worried about here. I'm terrible at working on cars and practically have no tools to do any of the work myself so taking it to a shop to get everything installed is practically the only option for me.
If you got popped by a cop, you'd get ticketed for an illegal modification, and you'd have to go to a smog ref, not just a normal smog shop. That's considerably more expensive, and they're gonna go over every inch of your engine and exhaust, running every number to make sure it's legal.

My personal opinion is that neither the power gain nor the sound is worth the hassle when there are so many legal ways to gain power (i.e kenne bell).

I'd just do the catback and get on your suspension.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If you got popped by a cop, you'd get ticketed for an illegal modification, and you'd have to go to a smog ref, not just a normal smog shop. That's considerably more expensive, and they're gonna go over every inch of your engine and exhaust, running every number to make sure it's legal.

My personal opinion is that neither the power gain nor the sound is worth the hassle when there are so many legal ways to gain power (i.e kenne bell).

I'd just do the catback and get on your suspension.
Yeah if that's the case i'm just gonna play it safe with the catback. Catback then suspension then probably some 4.10's are gonna be my next upgrades, once the funds come in of course. Question now is Flowmaster or Mac, countless nights on youtube just listening to both i still can't decide. Flowmaster has a nicer tone to it but the Mac has that deep sound i'm looking for so i'm torn between the two.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'm running a catted Bassani X-pipe, and I've been pulled over twice with it on, and they never even mentioned it.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Honestly whatever catback you choose is your own decision. We all have opinions on what we like, but it's your car and were not gonna be driving it, you are. You've already been on YouTube so you have a good idea on what you like, now it's just up to you to decide.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
I'm running a catted Bassani X-pipe, and I've been pulled over twice with it on, and they never even mentioned it.
Are you gonna pay his ticket if the OP *does* get pulled over and popped for his?

Just because you haven't been hassled about it doesn't mean that no one will.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I never said it's legal, I'm just stating my experience with a modified X-pipe is all. My friend had a cop get his attention while on the freeway traffic. The LEO yelled out his name and told him to put some cats on it, my friend replied there were some, and the cop replied to put on some real ones. My friend had hollowed out cats lol. Like I said, I'm just stating my experience.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'd like to see him look under my car :D I cant even get a low pro jack under it. 3" of ground clearance
My car is at stock height and I can barely get my floor jack under it as is. If it were lowered even 1 inch, it would not clear. So I got to thinking about road side wheel changes and my plan to drop it down an inch. Guess not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts