Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this is out there somewhere but I want to clarify a little better with people who may have done something like this. I have a 98 GT convertible 5 Speed manual. I believe that has the Borg Warner T-5 in it? Now, I have a tuner and a well known mustang mechanic (Mike Dez racing for those who are from Southeastern MA/RI). My 4.6L engine has been over heated and neglected by the previous owner, so it is just about useless. That being said, I pulled the engine out and now i have a car that needs a good engine sitting in my garage. I'm leaning towards a 2002ish engine, however I would like to have around 300RWHP when all is said and done without going over about 2gs. Does anyone have any reccomendations for what could fit in there with out any crazy mods? Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
nothing for 2g's

·
Registered
417 Posts
Your transmission is a T45. I would go with a Mark VIII engine, then full exhaust and a cobra intake. Wont quite be to 300RWP, but pretty close on a favorable dyno. I know of a guy that did a mark VIII swap with an ORX and made 278 to the wheels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So a junkyard 3V would bolt up to my transmission as well as be compatible with my stock wiring harness?

·
I love to skydive
17,286 Posts
You'd need the wiring harness from the 3v. I think the tranny should bolt up.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Junkyard 3v would probably be to much work. I'd go with a Mark VIII motor if you really wanted to, but honestly you could also do a junkyard 2v build. Teksid block pi heads and some meaty cams would get you close if not over 300rwhp with 12:1 compression. But you could propbably do a mark VIII motor for 2gs depends if you can find one. Where i live its impossible because 4v motors do not exist in the mountains of crap junked cars in the scrappers it drives me insane lol. I couldn't even find PI heads in a junk yard..

And you have a T-45 not a T5

·
Registered
417 Posts
So a junkyard 3V would bolt up to my transmission as well as be compatible with my stock wiring harness?
There is a lot more to a 3V swap than just bolting it up. Yes, the tranny will bolt up, but there are other obstacles, such as the cam phasers. A mark VIII motor is essentially a drop in.

Junkyard 3v would probably be to much work. I'd go with a Mark VIII motor if you really wanted to, but honestly you could also do a junkyard 2v build. Teksid block pi heads and some meaty cams would get you close if not over 300rwhp with 12:1 compression. But you could propbably do a mark VIII motor for 2gs depends if you can find one. Where i live its impossible because 4v motors do not exist in the mountains of crap junked cars in the scrappers it drives me insane lol. I couldn't even find PI heads in a junk yard..

And you have a T-45 not a T5
I literally wrote the guide on the mark VIII swap and I did it for less than $500 with a new clutch involved. I can get Mark VIII engines down here for $400 pulled and $179 if I pull it myself.

·
good with the steel.
244 Posts
One more vote for a 2v build.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts