Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably been asked before, but what is the best fluid for the T-45? Getting a shifter soon and figured I may as well change the tranny fluid while I'm at it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have heard that a tech from Tremec recommended dino oil instead of synthetic as it is not good for the syncros. There is a tsb from ford recommending mercon v in all mustangs 99 and newer.

I just used Valvoline mercon v

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I didn't know about the tsb. My owners manual says to use just Mercon.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I used mercon v and it was kinda notchy. The dex merc valvoline made everything smooth again

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hmm. At first I put too much oil in and it shifted like ****. Got the level right and it is all better. Definitely an improvement paired with a short throw.

·
GT 4.6 SOHC
270 Posts
Did mine last month

I measured out 3.3 quarts for mine
I used a total of 3.4 - 3.5 and filled mine from the top where shifter is this time around with ATF Royal Purple @ $14 bucks each. I previously had Mercon 5 as recommeded (@ $5 bucks each), but my shifting was really "notchy" like Silver35th said. The royal purple now is "Nice" in terms to the shifting. Feel improved shifting on 3rd, 4th and somewhat on 2nd. I personally recommened going with oil that you can trust, as for you will be the one shifting all the time. If you want to go cheap ~ thats what you will get. :)

·
GT 4.6 SOHC
270 Posts
3.3 for a t45
Ok, ok, I cheated a bit @ 3.4 - 3.5.
3.3 sounds good considering that there is still some oil in there that you cannot always get out. :)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
The Valvoline Dex/Merc I used was $16.xx at Walmart for a gallon. Cheap and works very well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts