Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dad is almost ready to pull the motor out of his stock 1994 GT for us to rebuild and he's throwing some crazy ideas out there. Like putting two 4 barrels on it and some AFR 220cc heads. Now I don't know too much about matching up the right sized heads for engine builds but I told him 220cc heads are a crazy size for a stock 302 and that he should at least stroke it to a 331 maybe even a 347. But he wants to leave it stock bore and stroke as long as the crankshaft isn't damaged. So what are the best/most aggressive heads and cam combo out there for a stock bottom end 302? Car will probably only see the strip with maybe weekend cruises once a month.

·
Registered
756 Posts
For a naturally aspirated combo I would get a nice set of AFR 185's and talk to a cam grinder to see what they can make you. Custom cams really are not that much more expensive and are worth it.

Is he looking at going carb? If so that will affect his other options, and would require a tune along with several other conversion items.

If he wants something crazy you should be looking into a 351w or BB swap.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes he's dead set on converting to a carb. Because he thinks fuel injection parts are too expensive and claims he'll get more power going carbed. I think he said he wanted either two 450s or a single 750. And I've tried convincing him to just buy a replacement 302 that was already running but he's just set on rebuilding this one. So I know he won't buy a 351 or a BB. I was thinking the 185cc heads as well but what do you mean going with a carb would require a tune?

·
Registered
756 Posts
I should have worded better. Not going carb will require a tune along with a lot of other supporting mods, lol. Carb will require a different distributor, ignition box, fuel system, intake and carb of course.
750 carb is going to be a bit big for a 302 but could be a fit for the 185cc heads and good cam. Whatever he does keep him away from the dual carbs.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Sounds like bar stool building. Nothing wrong with using carburetors but I think since it's EFI already you would be better off sticking with it. Unless he is good at making custom manifolds or has some cash to blow a dual carburetor setup is pretty unrealistic. The best and simplest way to do it without bastardizing the car is to keep it EFI.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Sounds like bar stool building. Nothing wrong with using carburetors but I think since it's EFI already you would be better off sticking with it. Unless he is good at making custom manifolds or has some cash to blow a dual carburetor setup is pretty unrealistic. The best and simplest way to do it without bastardizing the car is to keep it EFI.
I agree about keeping it EFI, but some guys want carb. There are a lot of off the shelf parts for carb, single and dual setups included. All in all it is significantly cheaper to run carb vs. efi. My first couple builds were on a carb 302 in a 79 notch, boy do I miss that car.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been trying my hardest to convince him to keep it EFI, but I just don't think he will. We've got to April before our local tracks open up, and it should be running by then with whatever he's wanting to do. So going the carb route, what would have to be changed regarding the fuel system?

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
It would be crazy to convert to a carb, but if he's going to, I'd put Trick Flow FAC190s on it, with a Victor Jr, and a Bullet cam, with the supporting valvetrain components.

·
Registered
875 Posts
yeah going to carb in these cars are dumb, unless your stroking the crap outta it and putting the big large port heads and blueprinting the engine. basicly saying. if your going to do all that "converting" go big for the track and do it right. if its just going to be something he'll take to the track just to have some fun and drive home id keep it EFI. the parts rarely go bad and arent that pricey these days and youd make more hp with efi vs carb, less adjustment and constant retuning and rebuilding the carb, changing jets, etc. some people say going carb is cheaper but id have to disagree. with all the time and the money, tools keeping a carbed car running you might as well kept it efi. besides that, a regular 302 cant handle huge carbs and i heard some ran faster with a two barrel. your dad sounds like my father in law. after working for ford for 30 years and his own cars. he swears by efi now. good luck. btw, you could go find a 460 in a junkyard and carb that, ooohhh, it would tote the wheels 2 feet lol !

·
Registered
875 Posts
maintnance man. fuel injection isnt that bad on maintnance. carbs always start leaking fuel, the trim screws back off from the vibration, its just a crude way to deliver fuel these days, unless its a track car that your contantly fiddling with anyway. dont misunderstand, im not ripping on carbs that much. im just stating if its going to be a dialey driver/ drive to the track and have a little fun and drive home car then i wouldnt go carb. but whatever. its his motor and car. if thats what hes set on then thats his business.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha well it's not going to be his daily driver. But he was complaining about how expensive bigger MAF meters and bigger fuel injectors are.

·