Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a thread about heads and some people swear that the heads they stated were the best (Hands Down). The question is what is the best sbf head hands down? I am really talking only two options on a naturally aspirated engine, a head for the street and then a head for balls to the wall all out race? I understand there are certain factors to consider but just say you had two engines in front of you, one for a bad street car and the other for a race car. What heads would you use on each engine?

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
For the street car i would problably use the new FREEDOM Heads and they've proven pretty good for street applications.

as for racing depending on what i was running and combos i was running, i would use a set of AFR 205-225 Depending on the power adder and how muchcompression i was looking for.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
For the street car i would problably use the new FREEDOM Heads and they've proven pretty good for street applications.

as for racing depending on what i was running and combos i was running, i would use a set of AFR 205-225 Depending on the power adder and how muchcompression i was looking for.
Hes talking about naturally aspirated combos.

This is a tuff question to answer, because there are so many options out there, and most of them will get the job done for a street based engine. Another major factor you need to look at, is displacement. A street 347 isnt going to benefit from a Victor/Glidden head with 260cc runners, like a 427 would and vise versa. Looking at the big picture overall, Trickflow makes some a best heads for any displacement from 302 to 427. Keep in mind thats a generalistic statement for "street" engines.

For all out race engines, its even more difficult. If your not governed by rules, than a canted valve head (Yates for example) is absolutely the way to go. If maybe you were restricted to an inline valve head, or you didnt want to use a canted valve head, CFE would be the best choice.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so hears the deal. As for right now I have a 351w bored 30 over converted to 4 bolt. My plans are for a 408ci stroke. I am looking at two options on the forged internals.
1. (4.000 stroke, 6.125 rod, 1.350 comp/ht dish top, 19.3cc’s)
2. (4.000 stroke, 6.250 rod, 1.235 comp/ht dish top, 22.0 cc’s) I’m not sure of which one to go with. I am ready for the bottom end completion. I am building my car to race. yea it would be nice to drive it up the road to a car show once a month but if I cant, I cant. That’s here and there. I want to keep the compression low, so a 68cc head would keep me at a 9.0 compression ratio. I have a t3/t4 turbo I haft to rebuild but I haven’t made up my mind if it is going on the car. I’m trying to keep the compression low to keep my options open. I was asking about naturally aspirated because that is what the engine will be when it runs its first time. So what do you all think the best head for that application will be?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Well, i think you should build the engine for max effort N/A, and forget about boost. A T3/T4 is way to small for a 408. Look into Trickflow R series heads.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Well, i think you should build the engine for max effort N/A, and forget about boost. A T3/T4 is way to small for a 408. Look into Trickflow R series heads.
+1 find another snail, and you'll be in business.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts

I wouldnt use Freedom heads for a paper weight. I have seen them personally and the castings on the suck ass big time.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
The best head is the one that matches your combination and goals....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts