Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of getting an intake manifold and ive heard a lot about the cobra intake being the best but I wanna hear more opinions.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It ALL depends on your engine setup. Heads, cam, exhaust etc. For stock heads and gt-40 style heads they are pretty good. For more open heads lick trick flow, afr and many others there are better options. So for stock heads, the cobra, gt40 or edelbrock performer intakes are all pretty good. Just got to match the right intake to your heads.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
cobra intake definately not the best.......its a good cheaper option.....as far as the best its hard to say because of you kinda need to match it to more of your application.....i think for most average setups with a 302 base and N/A go with holley systemax.....maybe if it was a 408 the trickflow R.....and if you were running boost you might look at the Trickflow Box R

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i havent done much too my car except for flowmaster and CAI, so Im guessing the best thing to do is get the cobra intake for now. But that would be after I purchase the new h-pipe Im getting and headers. would you reccomend 3.73 gears before the intake manifold or should I wait awhile?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
if your getting the cobra intake outa a junkyard or gettin an explorer thats fine.....but if your gona order a new one i say go ahead and save a lil more money and get the holley or a trickflow or edelbrock

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya i originally liked the trickflow but everyone was saying that the cobra was better. So even with the little mods I have a trickflow intake would be good?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Its just not worth buying a cobra now and then buying a trickflow later is wat im saying....if your planning on getting heads and everything later i would go with the trickflow.....if you dont ever plan on goin any better than some gt40 heads then the cobra intake will be fine.....and i dont know who would think the cobra intake would be better than trickflow

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good cuz i like the trickflow, and everyone I talked to said get the cobra and I didnt understand why. Now I do, its becuz they didnt know what they were talking about lol.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
well its probly because they didnt think it would be worth it for you to get an intake like that if you werent gonna mod the rest of the motor too......its not gona help you out extremely untill you get heads that will flow more air too but it will help you some.....and get a throttle body that can feed the intake.....it all has to work together

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh i have big plans for when I get the money. Its just gonna be a couple years before I even think about heads.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
if your staying 302 a trickflow trackheat would be nice........if your thinking stroker the holley actually flows better from what i have heard from guys on here(like darrel).....if your gona bigger or Boosted then you should look into an R of somekind

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I should stay with the trak heat, I have a tight income. Im sure that would handle lets say 350-400 horses right?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
well wat are you plans for the motor in the end

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well I hope to get it up to 300 hp within this year with pretty good handling because I like carving corners lol

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
well to give you an idea the trickflow full topend kit puts about 350 hp on the motor which usually goes about 290 at the wheels....so if you built a 302 or 306 with that and full exhaust and other supporting modds like intake and full exhaust pulleys and smog delete if you dont have emissions and then a good tune you should have around 400 on the motor in the end and that seems like its gonna be plenty for the way you wanna go

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow thanks a lot Il be sure to check out that topend kit. But im gonna save that for another day, Im out for tonite il talk to you later

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
just my 2 cents but heres a nice budget combo that you can buy used for @ the prices listed, this will net you close to 260 - 280 hp be budget friendly and emissions legal, it offers good low end torque and makes a really fun combo

e cam $ 100
cobra intake $ 275 or cheaper if u use the explorer stuff
iron gt 40 heads $ 275 again you can use the gt 40 p heads off an explorer ( i dont like too because you have to use "P" specific headers

the first thing everyone will probably say will be to buy a stroker or spend $ 2000 on top of the line aluminum heads and intake but i've run the above combo and imo it's probably the cheapest h/c/i you can get and it will run much better then the stock 5.0 stuff ( easily a mid 12 sec combo with 373s , t5 and slicks )

oh yea i'd put on a set of underdrive pulleys asap

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
again you can use the gt 40 p heads off an explorer ( i dont like too because you have to use "P" specific headers
not exactly true. i used GT-40P heads with MAC longtube headers (not BBK!) and had no trouble. i'd recommend sparkplug insolator boots though.
the GT-40P heads with an Edelbrock RPMII manifold and Anderson Ford Motorsport N-41 cam woke the car up quite nicely. the 150 shot of nitrous helped too.:D

·
Registered
382 Posts
The GT40/Cobra/Explorer intakes are great intakes for stock heads and flow ~205cfm stock. Port the lower and they flow ~250cfm and for TW/AFR165/Edelbrock heads that flow 250cfm or less and in an rpm range less than the 6,250 rev limiter with a properly selected cam they can almost not be beat by any other aftermarket intake. I have example dynos illustrating this in the dyno photo sections on my site.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
i forgot about long tubes, btw very nice combo i love the way the rpm 2 intake looks:rockon

1 - 20 of 82 Posts