Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure this would help anyone wanting to know the best launching RPMs for a manual, depending on tire size,brand, and mods.

I myself have the 315 35 17 Nitto 555R drags, and every bolt on, along with a centerforce clutch and spec alum. flywheel.

The best point ive seen for takeoff is 3700, and it shimmies a little sideways into the second gear shift.

So, nitto 315 drags, full bolt ons, 3700 rpms (feathering lightly).

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I can leave at 3700 in second gear and blow the tires away, 305/35/18 Nitto 555R and 275/40/17 MT Drag Radial

I think this is more HP dependant, with the rear tires in your sig I would be leaving around ........umm.......rev limiter

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can leave at 3700 in second gear and blow the tires away, 305/35/18 Nitto 555R and 275/40/17 MT Drag Radial

I think this is more HP dependant, with the rear tires in your sig I would be leaving around ........umm.......rev limiter
haha, I cant, with the 4.10s acting more like 4.56s with the tire size, They get blown away anything over 4k, but shifting into 2nd still gets me sideways, if I dont ease it in rather than dump it.

On the track, with the 275 40 mickey bias e.t.'s I leave at about 5250, and its a perfect launch, no bog, no nothing, just get up and go

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts

Similar experience with the nitto 18" dr's. Not leaving above 3k in the 475-500hp range with 4.10 gears..

Have to get more sidewall for some wrinkle and preferrably a full slick.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
by the way, that was nittos on the street.
on the track, for some reason, they suck balls.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
nittos work great if you know how to work with them. i run 315/45/17 at 12 psi and heat the piss out of them. i launch at 7000 rpm off a 2 step and the best ive gotten out fo them was a 1.71, so dont tell me they cant hook. anyways most cars with different suspension are gonna hook different than other cars. so saying they wont hook above 3500 rpm is bs, becasue im making more power than most on here and launching a lot higher and they stick well. you jsut gotta know how to use them

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its probably cause I dont heat them too terribly much, cause theyre my daily driving tires.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
MT ET Streets @ 15psi 26x10.5 on 16" rim i launch at 5000 and leave with no slip and no bog. no slip in 2nd either

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Your talking about an entirely different tire in the 17's drgn. Look back and you'll see the complaints are of the 18's.

When I was running my monte carlo SS on DR's the suspension was a 4 link with a mini tub and I could sit down on the street or track with my Nitto 17 dr's and get full blown hook at 6200 off the two step as well. Suspension did all of that for me and that car was not a good street driver because of it.

I assure you, that even on your car, you will not take a set of 305/35/18 Nitto DR's at your power level and cut a 1.71 60 ft. The sidewall is too stiff, and you will blow them off the back of the car at your current launch RPM's. Shoot, I'll give you mine to try it. With that 315/45 your running, your gettin wrinkle that we certainly are not.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Also wanted to mention, nitto's are finicky, even within exact same sizes. Some of them hook good with a ferocious burnout, and others liquidate and become useless. I've had the opposite as well, where a short burnout worked great. You have to test n tune to get what your looking for is all I'm saying..

·
Registered
985 Posts
It must be the 4.10's. I ran the 275 Mickey's with the stock 3.55 gears. I usually launched at 5k rpms for consistency. On a test and tune night I did launch at 6k rpms and got no slippage and I have never spun in 2nd gear with the Mickey's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts