Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am looking to find a builder for my 1996 Mustang GT 4.6L. I have looked at several sites from MMR, Livernois, Shrader Performance and finally Excessive Motorsports/Modular Head Shop.

I would really like to have a 5.0 Liter Longblock with TF Heads. MY eventual goal is for my car to get supercharged, possibly with either a Pro charger or a Kenne Bell. Right now, I am leaning towards Kenne Bell. My friend has a 03 Cobra with a KB 2.6.

What are your guy's opinions on the companies that I have listed above.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Scott H

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
There have been some complaints with Livernois, but they've also done quality work.

Last I heard MHS does good work, but can take a very long time.

Where are you located? BES does some phenomenal work on modular engines. I'd rank them up there with Accufab and MMR in expertise. I was very pleased with the work they did on mine.

Since MMR is a sponsor of the site, I have to be careful when I talk about

[USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST]

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
my setup consists of ported pi MHS heads and cams on an MMR 900 4.75 shortblock.

I did the top to bottom end assembly.

my thoughts. MMR does nice work with the shortblocks. unless you are assembling the shortblock yourself, it is hard to beat their prices.

MHS does excellent work overall. Jordan is a very helpful and knowledgable guy. gave me a lot of phone time discussing my setup and the routes to go to accomplish my heads and cams goals.

as from a mechanical standpoint. the 5.0L strokers have an issue where the piston skirt comes out of the bottom of the cylinder jacket and when it goes back up it may cause wear in the long term.. but on a race engine.. what is really longterm? I mean really??

having ported PI heads. I love them, but if I were to do it again I would have forked over the extra cash for the trick flows, better cylinder head design. replaceable cam towers if the cam journals wear on the heads, stock TFS outflows stage 3 ported PI. and it eliminates the plug boss which reduces predet. (main reason why i would have gone this route if I did it again) Jordan at MHS suggested it. but I didn't have the heart to spend the extra coin.

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
I've dealt with Jordan at MHS, good guy, great work but he does take some time though.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
MHS. I believe Livernois and Schrader are quite expensive compared to the other two. MMR has alot of mixed reviews. For me MHS has the greatest value (price, quality, satisfaction/reviews) from those choices.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your opinions. After doing some research, I have decided to go with Modular Head Shop / Excessive Racing. I plan on ordering a Boss 5.0L Longblock with Trickflow Heads :) I should be ordering it next year :))

1 - 6 of 6 Posts