Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have an engine and trans (4r70w i think) from a '96 3.8L v6 mustang. it has a vortech v1 blower already on it. i'm thinking of other future mods to get a little more out of it, any ideas? it's got headers already and i'll run some kind of open exhaust. oh, and it's going in a 91 explorer.

being a '96 it should be OBD-II right? if so, can i use one of those USB OBD-2 programmers to change stuff on the ECU, such as timing advance, rev limiter, shift points, fuel mixture, etc?

also, anybody had good luck with other mods on this setup? if i run a little smaller pulley, whats the limits on boost for this arrangement?

·
Registered
281 Posts
the 96 has a 4R70W, and it is OBD-II.
infact 94-95 V6 mustangs are also OBD-2, even though it wasnt Federally Mandated until 96

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
if it already has a tune for the blower, which im assuming it does, then u dont want to go changing it or ur gonna end up blowing up something

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
if it already has a tune for the blower, which im assuming it does, then u dont want to go changing it or ur gonna end up blowing up something
+1

but MAINLY are you ready for the Nazi Zombie Invasion?

if your not I would suggest buying guns before modding your car

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
+1

but MAINLY are you ready for the Nazi Zombie Invasion?

if your not I would suggest buying guns before modding your car
Agreed. No worse decision than to mod your car before stocking up on guns.

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
^ yeah really when the zombies come your screwed if all you have is a fast car due to the fact cars will be everywhere

edit sorry johnson but that was my real opinion lol didnt wana make another post cause I knew you would spank me

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I would invest in getting it in the car and then getting the car the proper supporting mods such as rear end work maybe some gears. A shift kit for the transmission. Then maybe do some porting or a split port swap and re dyno.

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
I would invest in getting it in the car and then getting the car the proper supporting mods such as rear end work maybe some gears. A shift kit for the transmission. Then maybe do some porting or a split port swap and re dyno.
damn i didnt see that its not in a car. so ur putting it in the explorer. that rear should already be a 8.8 so as said above, maybe some gears and tranny upgrades. definitely get it dyno tuned once its all in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, the rear end upgrade i have in mind is going to be a 4:56 geared, detroit locker, 31 spline 9" (it currently has an 8.8)

as for guns, those are on my list as well. shot gun first, fallowed by crates of ammo, then a riffle or pistol. and more ammo.

I suppose i'll install it, then see how things go (if it needs a shift kit or already has one or what) maybe a dyno tune. i have a little Nissan gear driven divorced transfer case i'm going to put behind it too... think that'll blow up?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts