Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through this forum and didn't find a link but in your guys' opinion, what are the best mods for the price on a 4v engine? I know they like boost but thats more money than I have right now. If this topic has already been discussed please delete this and give me the other link, thanks.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I was looking through this forum and didn't find a link but in your guys' opinion, what are the best mods for the price on a 4v engine? I know they like boost but thats more money than I have right now. If this topic has already been discussed please delete this and give me the other link, thanks.
Gears

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
CAI, gears, Stewart components water pump, mip pipe, cat back, tune, P&P'd intaked manifold, aluminum DS

·
Registered
106 Posts
They also love the NOS...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok this is going to be a stupid question but whats the difference between a catback exhaust and say flowmasters? Gears as in 4.10 or 4.30?
How much hp would the waterpump and intake manifold free up?

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Cat back is a part of the exhaust system, flowmaster is a brand. Probably better stick with the 4.10's. The pump is good for about 11-14rwhp, and the intake for about the same, Maybe more maybe less. I am gonna throw a stock one on then go dyno it with the stock one then throw my P&P'd one on and see actual numbers. The intake and pump combination realy wake em up on the top end.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Generally when people say exhaust they mean the entire exhaust from the catalytic converters and back. This means an X or H Pipe with cats or without cats (off-road) and then the exhaust from there, whether it be Borla, Flowmaster, Pypes, SpinTech, Bassani, etc.

Gears are personal preference and also depend on future mods. If you want to go boosted later, 4.30 is huge and you'll be replacing it. If you like N/A and you're looking for the best bang for your buck then grab a set of 4.10 or 4.30, it's personal preference. Neither is too large for the street.

I think that hybrid waterpump frees up ~9hp? Not sure, it's pretty cheap.

If I did it again, I'd do it in the same order:

Full Exhaust - Long tube headers (don't waste your time with short), off-road H pipe (I can get away with it), and then catback exhaust. If you can't afford the LT Headers and install then just do catback. Half of the fun of an American muscle car is the noise.

Gears - By far the best modification if you want to go faster without boost. For ~250 dollars + install cost you will shave a good chunk of time off your quarter and it'll wake the living hell out of that 4v.

Traction - Drag radials and then new lower and upper control arms. Springs are an option here along with new struts and shocks.

After that it's up to you. I'm not counting boost.

An aluminum driveshaft doesn't cost much and is easy to install. Underdrive pulleys are at least ~10hp and also cheap, generally a full set under $200. P&P intake could cost you a few dollars, I'd look at that option later. These are just my opinions, go with what you'd like!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I heard that pullies on a mach are not a good thing?!?
I had no idea the waterpump would add that much hp. How much am I looking at for one of those, also the intake mani?
I do not have the cash flow right not for lt's esp with the clutch going out but I was looking at rai and a tune but i wasn't sure after the midpipe and muffs what would be best.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Pump is $150 and yea it was one of my better mods for the price. The UDP's on the Mach is just BS. and I sent u a PM about the manifold

·
Registered
599 Posts
i put in 3.73's in my old 97 cobra they were ok. i got 4.10's in my 01 and LOVE them. def worth every penny.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah the mach already has 3.55's so dont think the 3.73's would make much of a difference. Would you go with RAI or Waterpump first? They are both the same price with the same yield in hopsepower

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Yeah the mach already has 3.55's so dont think the 3.73's would make much of a difference. Would you go with RAI or Waterpump first? They are both the same price with the same yield in hopsepower
IMO, i'd do the RAI first...Easier to do yourself...The waterpump will require belt and pulley removal..:)..Not so simple, yet still relatively easy for the willing with the necessary tools..

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
I personaly think my C&L MAF and inlet pipe was a better gain than the pump, but not by much. I don't know how much of a gain the RAI will give ya, but my C&L was definatly worth it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I definitely can't do both because Im going to start putting a little money back for the ported tb. I was thinking RAI because somewhere i read that plus a tune is about 30 rwhp. Does your c&l have any heatsoak issues? I was thinking about going with jlt only because its cheaper lol.

The list looks like

1) cat back
2) CAI/RAI
3) tune
4) waterpump
5) ported tb
6) Aluminum DS
7) pullies

those are the best bang for your buck mods and after that stuff will start costing a bit more I am guessing? We haven't even talked about the DS...what benefit does that offer than lightweight? I suppose it could imprive accelleration but noticeable?

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
No heat soak on mine. You get what you pay for thats for sure, ask Mach boy about his JLT heat shield. Big time POS. Mine fits tight and looks greats, not to mention functions great. The list looks good, the order realy doesn't matter but tune and gears should be close to the top if you ask me. Who is doing your P&P'd TB? how much do they charge? I noticed a very nice gain when we did my TB.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am saving up and going to try to find time to send it off to you because thats the best price and I heard good things.

Tune should be towards the top? I would think you should get all the parts in and then tune it for the parts or am i backwards?

I e-mailed Jay at JLT and he said the old heat shields have been replaced with a new one that actually does the job. C&L definitely looks better so if its better built I guess its worth the price.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
I meant "tuner" if you are gonna get a dyno tune once and be done with it then ya wait till your done. I don't wanna say JLT is bad. I prefer C&L. I think they make a better product and especialy coupled with there MAF it is a very noticable difference. I realy don't like the JLT fitment from the ones I have seen but a lot of guys on here say they are great so its realy up to you. The biggest turn away for me on the JLT is I can get all the parts to make my own from home depot. But again its just my opion.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My friend has a tuner but I have no clue how to use one or how to properly tune my car so I wouldn't wanna mess anything up. Would a tune even do much stock? The only things that would really effect a tune on this list would be air/fuel mods correct? That just leaves the RAI, Ported TB and exhaust? Pullies I could see messing with stuff too but not much I wouldn't think.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
The tuner will make a difference stock just not as much as it would with all the mods. The tuner is gonna advance the timing and get the AFR right so yea you will have a gain. The tuners are very easy to use.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts