Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this varies quite a bit, but what motor oil/oil filter do you guys use? i'm looking for a high quality oil for a 306, nothing stock on the motor. it's a wknd driver/racer so i want something durable and higher quality.

FYI, it's a newly rebuilt motor, so I'm prob not gonna run synthetic or a high mileage oil. thanks.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I run synthetic on my stock shortblock with heads cam and intake..... Only has 65k on it but it's original from 1992

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
other members on here told me not to run synthetic, that it would mess up the seating of the rings.......

I wanted to run royal purple but was told not to....can I?

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
And run a Wix filter. One of the best out there.

Do NOT get fram. They're junk.

Sent from my galaxy s II

Reactions: 93Mustang

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah for break in i was going to change the oil about every 150-200 miles and then hopefully use RP after breaking in (500-750 miles). any sug's on break in oils?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I just used regular oil, but that was a long time ago before I knew better. Now I'd probably look for something with a higher zinc content. RP even makes a break in oil if you want to pony up the cash. Amsoil as well and I'm sure others.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, great info. so using the break in oil is better than using reg oil and a zinc additive then right?

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
I think its about the same thing. But if I recall the zinc additive is mainly for flat tappet cams. If yours is roller I don't think you NEED zinc or zddp additive

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
Now a question on top of a question. What weight are y'all running in your rides? I was thinking 10w 30 and sprinkle something a little heavier with it.
BTW, non dd. When I drive it I will get on it

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i've got the e303 cam with 1.6 roller rockers by FRPP

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now a question on top of a question. What weight are y'all running in your rides? I was thinking 10w 30 and sprinkle something a little heavier with it.
BTW, non dd. When I drive it I will get on it
oh good question, i was thinking 10w 30 as well, but what do other ppl rec for a non-dd

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
I wouldn't run RP in my lawn mower. That stuff is junk.

Valvoline VR1 and a Motorcraft FL1A

Weight depends on your engines bearing tolerances and such. Nobody can answer that for you.

Edit: nobody here can answer that for you. Ask the machine shop that does your work.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmm ok, I'll look into the Lucas Engine Break-in oil, it says it's for high performance engines and it's so much cheaper! Only $6/qt compared to $9/qt for RP. These break in oils don't have enough zinc additive to mess up the O2 sensors do they?

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
If it were my engine that I just put thousands of dollar into, I wouldn't be concerning myself with saving $15 on 5 quarts of oil, I'd be concerned with which oil is going to be best for the job.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If it were my engine that I just put thousands of dollar into, I wouldn't be concerning myself with saving $15 on 5 quarts of oil, I'd be concerned with which oil is going to be best for the job.
So do you think that RP is significantly better than Lucas's Racing Break-in Oil?

Lucas engine break-in oil is designed to protect your engine on its initial startup. It features higher levels of zinc and phosphorous to offer maximum protection. The oil will provide a quicker, more efficient piston ring seal and is compatible with ethanol, methanol, and all high-octane racing fuels. Lucas engine break-in oil is recommended for use on the initial break-in of both flat tappet and solid roller camshaft applications and requires no moly supplement and no additional additives. Less ring blowby equates to more horsepower and a better piston ring seal. Protect your engine's performance and life expectancy with Lucas engine break-in oil.

OR

Designed for engine builders, Royal Purple's break-in oil is formulated to allow optimal ring seal and protect rotating assembly components such as the camshaft and valvetrain from initial start-up wear. Engine builders using flat-tappet cams have grown increasingly concerned that many modern motor oils do not provide adequate wear protection for new engines, particularly those using flat-tappet cams. Royal Purple has addressed this issue with their new break-in oil. Royal Purple combines highly refined mineral oil, preferred for engine break-in, with advanced additives containing high levels of zinc and phosphorus to optimize protection in flat-tappet and roller engines. Royal Purple break-in oil is fully formulated and does not require the use of any other chemical additives. Royal Purple recommends using one of their high performance motor oils after the engine is broken in for maximum engine performance.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts