·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
comp cams have always been a favorite of mine

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
iv never done anything like putting a camshaft in before, but i know its a pretty decent amount of work. would i have to get a new timing chain and watnot, or woudl the stock one work out fine? also, if im getting a new camshaft, should i go ahead and get new rocker arms, push rods, and spring while im at it? wat would be a decent cost for the parts to do this stuff right and do it once lol (if i was gonna tear the valve train apart id only wanna do it once.)

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
iv never done anything like putting a camshaft in before, but i know its a pretty decent amount of work. would i have to get a new timing chain and watnot, or woudl the stock one work out fine? also, if im getting a new camshaft, should i go ahead and get new rocker arms, push rods, and spring while im at it? wat would be a decent cost for the parts to do this stuff right and do it once lol (if i was gonna tear the valve train apart id only wanna do it once.)
yes you have to replace the valve train the stock one isn't strong enough or capable enough...

replacing the chain is a good idea, just like a bike chain they can wear out over time and start forming stress points at where they can break...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol so basically wait till i have around 2000 bucks saved up, then do camshaft, valvetrain, upper and lower intake, heads, and maybe if i feel spendy enough to get money for a stoker kit too then

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol i figured i could do better on price i just wanted to see if those were the parts i wanted...would it be easier to get new cylinder heads then try to build up the stock ones i have? also this would be a long ways away..but im bored at work and have nothing better to do lol

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
well no one makes after market heads for these cars. they are all moded stock ones.

and since this is going to be a while till you do this, take your time and do your research and find what will be best for you. because no to set ups will be the same. it really depends on your goals and budget.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
so would my best bet if i wanted to put the money towards it would be the stage 2+ from ssms? http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/SSM2007catrev3PowerPaks.pdf
i offer the exact same heads with those valves, only the exhaust is bigger!
for a much better price

$1900 gets you the SAME thing just bigger exhaust valve and nice strong valve springs
$2450 which is STILL cheaper then they're kit comes with everything mentioned PLUS gasket kit, harden push rods, 1.73 rocker arms, new lifters and timing set!

its a $285 upgrade for just the gasket kit from ssms which takes there to $2785 then still wont have push rods, rocker arms or the lifters and timing set

and for $100 more i can throw in ARP head bolts which are the strongest bolts:cool:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol i was gonna ask u chris wat ur prices were dont worry i wasnt gonna actually buy from ssms but i was just looking at them to kinda get an idea on prices

anyways, would the bigger exhaust be better for power? would it reduce torque at all or would it improve it? i honestly know very little about the valvetrain besides how it basically works wtih the camshaft and how it feeds the cylinders, but i dont know much abotu the sizing and watnot

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
lol i was gonna ask u chris wat ur prices were dont worry i wasnt gonna actually buy from ssms but i was just looking at them to kinda get an idea on prices

anyways, would the bigger exhaust be better for power? would it reduce torque at all or would it improve it? i honestly know very little about the valvetrain besides how it basically works wtih the camshaft and how it feeds the cylinders, but i dont know much abotu the sizing and watnot
well as far as power its basically allowing more air to exit the combustion chambers which will result in more air leaving the exhaust
so if you have no cats or you lost low end power with a big exhaust this will help out. also the strong springs are good for keeping the valves closed.
backpressure is suppose to help shut the valves.

it'll result in more power basically, the more power you get the better.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just for kicks, if i have a stock motor, and did intakes cams exhaust (LTs with catted shorty midpipe) tune ported heads high flow air filter and maybe bigger throttle body wat kidna numbers would i be looking at?

·
Registered
452 Posts
just for kicks, if i have a stock motor, and did intakes cams exhaust (LTs with catted shorty midpipe) tune ported heads high flow air filter and maybe bigger throttle body wat kidna numbers would i be looking at?
There are a bunch of variables, of course, but probably ~240whp, give or take.

BTW, you only need ONE cam.

Oh, and I'd go with SSM or Delk as far as buying a cam. They custom spec the cam and then have CompCams manufacture it. Last time I checked, RPM uses a different manufacturer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts