Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do this once and purchase the best on the market, thoughts anybody?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I believe there are tons of other threads on this topic.
I've seen everyone post from Roush's, Steeda Triax, Pro comp and MGW.
I use the MGW. What I like about it most is the adjustability of how short you want the throw. You can also adjust where the knob sits (as in how close/far it is to the driver).

·
Registered
360 Posts
It seems that most people recommend MGW. That is what I will be going with when I replace my stock shifter.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
MGW. I know I dont have an 08, but the mgw has a great feel in my 95

·
BWAL Is My Hero
15,891 Posts
Another happy MGW customer. I've driven a few Hurst car's and didn't like them as much. They were still an improvement over stock. But, the way the MGW moves from 2-3 is so much smoother and easier in my opinion. I can power shift through fourth easily. With the stocker I had a real hard time hitting 2-3. I did not power shift either of the Hursts though. They just felt more notchy.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hey guys I have a quick question. On the MGW website they list two different sizes 12MM X 1.25 Fine Pitch and 12MM X 1.75 Coarse Pitch. What is the difference between these two?

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Hey guys I have a quick question. On the MGW website they list two different sizes 12MM X 1.25 Fine Pitch and 12MM X 1.75 Coarse Pitch. What is the difference between these two?
From the MGW website...

How to choose the shift knob handle for your MGW shifter...
If you are planning to use your STOCK OEM shift knob whether it be the plastic and leather "thumb" shaped knob or the upgraded billet ball that comes in the BULLITT and GT premium Mustangs , then you will want to choose the FINE PITCH 12 MM x 1.25 thread handle option. Also, our MGW GRIPPER and COMPOSITE RACE knobs also have the correct fine pitch 12MM x 1.25 thread!!

If you are planning on purchasing one of our Classic RALLY or MGW logo shift balls you will want to order the COARSE PITCH 12MM x 1.75 threaded handle!!! These are only available with this thread. Also, if you have an older knob from a pre 2005 Mustang you can also use it with this handle as the 2004 and older Mustangs also had the COARSE PITCH 12 MM x 1.75 thread!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW- That MGW shifter does look very nice! Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
93 Posts
i like my mgw you can adjust the heigth and how much shorter the throw is for the shift

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
i've always like my tri-ax, but would have gotten the mgw had it been out when i purchased. i'm not one to change when i have other things to buy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have owned Hurst, MGW, and Pro50. The hurst was in my foxbody and was nice, but looks a bit cheap for these S197 cars. I had an MGW in my 2000GT vert and wasn't crazy about it. Then I used the pro50 and wont buy anything else. I have put the pro50 in a mach1, 2 more foxbodies and just sent the money today for one for the 09. To each his own, but I am a huge pro50 fan.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Three completely different cars. The S197 uses a completely different shifter design as well. Hard to compare.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Three completely different cars. The S197 uses a completely different shifter design as well. Hard to compare.

Like I stated, I haven't gotten to try the pro50 out in this new mustang so I can't compare. But I will in a week. As far as hard to compare, that's non-sense. People go by results of a product that they have had good success with in the past. How many of the guys who have answered the OP's question have actually tried anything other than the shifter they are recommending in their S197 car?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Like I stated, I haven't gotten to try the pro50 out in this new mustang so I can't compare. But I will in a week. As far as hard to compare, that's non-sense. People go by results of a product that they have had good success with in the past. How many of the guys who have answered the OP's question have actually tried anything other than the shifter they are recommending in their S197 car?
:potstir

So I am guessing a the old Push rod 5.0 should be compared to the new Modular 5.0? Cause they are both 5.0 motors in mustangs? No. Like nasty said they are totally different. I mean just look at one for a s95 and a s197 same brand and all.. they shifter is totally different. I can see where you mean, if it was good then "the brand" usually that carries on to future products. If I had a fox I would consider getting a pro5.0

OP: MGW is the best out there no questions asked. Don't waste you time with anything else. It is the most smooth shifter you can get but it is the most expensive. You get what you pay for though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts