Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 mustang gt with 73000 miles a bama tuner SR performance CAI and glass packs... It's a dd what's the best brand of plug to get for mpg and performance and also what cops should I get its time to replace them

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Cops you need to stay with OEM there is not another brand out there that compares to the consistent quallity of OEM COPS. as far as Plugs NGKBR7EF.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
+1 They are a perfect match. Huh.... why are you replacing the COPs?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They have not been replaced yet and the car has a hard time starting when it's warmed up

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can it hurt to change the cops with 70000 miles

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
what happens when the COPs go bad?

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Misfiring, loss of power, poor gas mileage ETC.

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
2004 mustang gt with 73000 miles a bama tuner SR performance CAI and glass packs... It's a dd what's the best brand of plug to get for mpg and performance and also what cops should I get its time to replace them
It cant hurt. But if they aint broke, dont fix them. oem cops will outlast any other cop that i know of. As for sparkplugs, get either ngk tr6s or autolite 103s.
04GT,

73k is definitely a good time to replace your Spark plugs. I would go with either OEM, NGK or Autolite like Froush said! I went with the TR6's when I Replaced the plugs on my Mach1.

If the Cops aren't bad, I agree there's no need to fix them. The OEM Cops will last a very long time, however it cant hurt to replace them and if you have some extra cash lying around, then go for it!. I would recommend grabbing a set of factory Cop's if you do choose to replace them.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions. Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266.

-Dan

·
Registered
929 Posts
I just run the plain Autolite copper core plugs. Mines a 2004, and IIRC the 2004 uses the 104's with the full threads. Not only are they cheap, but I can buy them at WalMart when I'm grocery shopping. I change them out every 3rd or 4th oil change. That way I can inspect them for any motor issues and make sure they're tight.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
NGK TR6s and Autolight 103s are for boosted applications. They are a one step colder plug than normal. I wouldn't recommend them for a non-boosted application. Also, I once found Ford COPs for about $53 on-line. My mechanic has replaced two over the years. He charged me $80 each.

Fordy9er, didn't you have an intake manifold break about the same time as I did. My break drenched the entire motor in antifreeze. I had a bad miss and I had one COP replaced but I swear I still feel a slight miss sometimes. Other times not.

I have read that we need to take the boots off the COP and clean everything. I just haven't done it yet. But I think it would be wise to do that before buying all new COPs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i started getting a ticking noise after i put on my bama tuner so i called bama and they said i need a copper core spark plug to make the ticking noise go away

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
You should run autolite 764's, they are cheap, copper core, and identicle to the oem motorcraft plugs. I just had a thread about this not long ago and after doing much research I went with the autolite 764's and I love them. Car picked up throttle response and I picked up 2 mpg from what I can tell already. Best bang for the buck and they run great on a bolt on gt.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
NGK's are also good plugs but I don't see it being worth spending the extra money. If you were boosted I'd say NGK TR-6's but for a basic bolt on car the cheapest best plug is the autolite 764, or atleast so I find.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts