Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car is a 2001. after searching on here and google I found that my car has no dedicated water temp sensor, it uses the value from the Cylinder Head Temp Sensor. I am looking at putting both a real water temp sensor and a Dakota Digital adjustable fan controller in my car. I do a lot of driving in heavy traffic and summers are HOT here. My car is black so running my AC will be mandatory. I am gong to program my fan to come on at 210 and off at 203 I think, may adjust it once it all wired and running.

Heres my questions:

where is the best place to plumb in the sensors for both? Im thinking for the water temp sensor i could remove the threaded plug that is in the front drivers side of the Intake manifold (where the normal water temp sensor is on other years) and for the fan controller buy one of those aluminum things that you cut the rad hose in half then hose clamp to either end of the aluminum piece and it has a threaded tap for the sensor. I have read that these typically go into the lower rad hose.

Any issues with my plan? I know I could just buy a 400 tuner and adjust my computer to turn on the fan sooner, but my way its only 110 and if I sell teh car I can pull it off return the car to factory and move it to my next car or sell it and recoup some of my monies.

Also is there a good radiator for our cars? V6 Autotragic. as it sits now, in 45 degree weather my car will run around 204 at 55mph. i fear what it will do when the ambient temps are 80+. looking at possibly a better rad and fan setup. mine is a single speed fan, and the controller I am looking at can run multiple fans or multi speed fans.

im sure im overthinking it, but hey, thats whats fun about tinkering on cars!!

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Generally you would want the temp sensor like where it's located for the stock setups; that is to say at or near the outlet, and before the thermostat. Otherwise if it's after the thermostat you won't read anything until after it opens, which doesn't do you any good.

Of course it would be idea to have everything in that location, but in reality that may not work. If you have to, you could put the fan controller sensor on the outlet after the thermostat. That would be acceptable since your fans shouldn't come on until after the thermostat starts to crack open anyway. Just make sure you locate it such that it's not in a spot where it can get stuck in an air pocket and doesn't come on. The lower and closer to the engine the better. Don't put it in the lower water pump inlet hose, since that won't do you much good.

For the radiator it's a tough spot. The V6 uses a radiator with a pressure cap, unlike the GTs. However the core is the same size, so you should have no problem cooling it. It may need a good flush and cleaning. If you want a bigger aftermarket radiator, you might be able to us a 94-95 GT radiator. It will have the pressure cap on it like the 96-04 V6s, but it will have added cooling capability. For fans there's some other options that can increase airflow, like the MKVIII, Taurus, and even Intrepid fan setups.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks snake.

I saw a write up where a guy cut teh bypass hose where the vent screw is and plumbed in a brass 90 elbow. Drilled that and mounted the sensor there. then just ran a small ground line to the block. I may do that for one sensor and pull the plug mounted in the factory water temp sensor location and put my other sensor there. Im still set on getting a good temp gauge, but I may not do the fan controller and such. I did a coolant flush and replaced the T-Stat and my system seems to be working good again. Im just leery about when summer hits and it is 90 degrees and Im sitting in traffic for 45 mins stopped... But I will cross that bridge when it gets here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts