Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best supercharger for the money without getting crazy? I have a 1999 gt and I want to get the best bang for the buck trying to stay at about 400 hp.

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
it all depends on what you want to do with the car. where do you want to go with the car in the future. etc.
Lies!!!!

NOS SuPeRcHaRgErS ArE dAA BeeSST!!!

I like Prochargers.

In my opnion there the best centri supercharger out there.

Positive displacement s/cs are gonna cost a lil more so I'll omit those

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
400 hp (crank) = 352 rwhp (manual) or 320 rwhp (automatic).

Even though I'm a ProCharger advocate I have heard good things about the MPH Mongoose kit. This kit will safely get you to 400 hp.

Modular PowerHouse

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
tapping the oil pan takes 5mins.. i dunno why everyone is so scarred of it.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I was gonna say how hard can it be? Is it possible to get metal shavings in there or something? Is that why people are scared?

A lot of people on here like Procharger, Ive seen a lot of good things with Vortech too. I love this car

Hes making 516rwhp on the S-Trim... Pretty impressive, and that thing is fasssssst. Im hoping to get a used Vortech kit

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
A centri would be better for you i think. Vortechs can be fairly cheaper than most other brands. But procharger is a great sc as well.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
jivepepper is making similar numbers on his s-trim

·
Registered
998 Posts
I had a Novi 2000 and was at the 400 rwhp mark and never had any issues. Now there is alot of argument that there are better S/C's than others.

Fact: They all use the same technology to make boost. Paxton, Vortech, Powerdyne, Procharger. It takes power to make power. Centrifugal superchargers use the same concept as a Roots type(but they are not the same in design) All Belt driven S/C's use a belt in relitivity to pully size to determine the amount of boost in which = Power.

With Centrifugal Superchargers you will be only making power in the higher RPM's. The higher the RPM's = more boost and you know what that means. Remember that even with a larger pully, you will build boost with RPM's and only reach max HP at the top of your power band. Your boost levels may keep pulling up, but the power may not even though you are throwing more boost at it.

With a Roots type you are building boost at a lower RPM because of the design but the only drawback that I have seen is that some setups will loose boost or have a fall off of boost at high RPM's when the engine catches up and pulls more air than the supercharger is giving. This is why people upgrade to a larger system..example the KB setups. They are a larger system setup and can produce alot more at higher RPM's. Any roots style blower is a "feel at the seat of your pants experience" becuase of the low end torque that they produce.

There are some Centrifugal Supercharger systems out there that bolt up different and enven some that are self contained. There are many systems out there and it is up to find what you are looking for. Something to remember is that adding power to any car, there is a give and take relationship. If you do the setup correctly you shouldn't have any issues but with different systems you can get some diffent results. It's best to find a setup with the best logivity and go with it. This is an expensive purchace and no one wants to waiste money. Good Luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Chips in the pan , One more thing to leak oil (the threaded hole), Clogged hose,I just rather do oil changes than worry about feeds and returns to the pan... I'm an machine builder for over 20 years and I can say everything fails one time or another and I would try to keep it as simple as I can. Thanks for all the comments. This forum is very cool!

·
Registered
978 Posts
i like the V-3 Vortech myself. that is the system i am going with because you are correct, eventually things happen. rather do an oil change that tap my pan. but i would love a K/B or a Procharger too. its all preference i guess.

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
i like the centri blowers, they pull a little harder on the top end than a roots or twin screw plus they're usually cheaper. they're also easy to tune because they have a linear boost curve. sure, they don't have as much down low torque as a kenne bell, but they still give a even hp/torque curve. they usually put out more horsepower than torque if you go to about 12 psi or more, but at 8-10 psi you should see even peak hp and torque

oh and a nice intercooled kit will be the safest way to supercharge your motor, the IAT's are low and the boost doesn't come on too strong at low rpms and cause rod-bending torque

·
Registered
95 Posts
Never been in a Roots car but my S-Trim Vortech Dyon'd 494 to the rear wheels and anything above 3K rpm's is just amazing....No oil leaks either from the tapped pan :) Very simple tap.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Never been in a Roots car but my S-Trim Vortech Dyon'd 494 to the rear wheels and anything above 3K rpm's is just amazing....No oil leaks either from the tapped pan :) Very simple tap.
I know this is off topic but I was looking at your car's/truck's you own and noticed you had a Duramax. How do you like it? I work for DMAX in Morain, Ohio and just wanted to ask how it was working for you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know this is off topic but I was looking at your car's/truck's you own and noticed you had a Duramax. How do you like it? I work for DMAX in Morain, Ohio and just wanted to ask how it was working for you
Had all 3 diesels and worked all 3....all have their pro's and cons but I LOVE the Duramax/Alli combo the best...it's a beast and rides unbelieveably...PM me and i will tell ya whatever u want.

·
Cones = Yummy!
2,241 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts