Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and love it and I'm hoping you guys can help me with my dilema. I want to add the best street suspension to my S197. I was happy with getting BMR everything uptil today when I found out about Griggs Racing Suspension pack. BMR total cost was gonna be around
$3,000 and I was goin to do it part by part, but now I'm wondering if I should just save and get the Griggs pack. I want to autocross, track, and driift my car but have some streetability. I don't need it now but I would appreciate the help in killing porches and corvettes.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
keep up with a porsche your spending some cash lol.

my opinion dont get a kit part it out and optimize to your driving style.

a saleen watts link is an awesome upgrade. then saleen sway bars. teh rest I would look to steeda or griggs. What all do you wanna upgrade?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what I really want to do is just keep my car looking stock and up the suspension than the power(Ultimate Sleeper). I want to make the back behave and give some courage to the front, so that I can autocross and road race it on weekends and I can sacrifice some comfort for performance.

I think I'll part it out but I just can't understand why the griggs kit is so expensive.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
what I really want to do is just keep my car looking stock and up the suspension than the power(Ultimate Sleeper). I want to make the back behave and give some courage to the front, so that I can autocross and road race it on weekends and I can sacrifice some comfort for performance.

I think I'll part it out but I just can't understand why the griggs kit is so expensive.
cause its a name on a kit lol,
if you can get ahold of this
Saleen.com

after some nice springs and struts (or coilovers) is will handle like mad

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Maximum Motorsports also makes some nice stuff, I'd aruge that their Grigg's biggest competitor.

Also, have you looked at the Ford Racing Handling Pack?

·
BWAL Is My Hero
15,891 Posts
In my opinion its a good idea to by everything in a "Kit" or "Pack". This way you know everything is designed to worked together. Griggs is by far the best company out there but they are also one of the most expensive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd like to see some more info on this topic myself. I've got a 93 and have also been looking at suspension mods. The list that I've found or heard of are griggs racing, maximum motorsport, kenny brown, steeda, and not sure if you heard of these guys, but Agent47 and JME.

From what limited research and reading I've done I think it all depends on what you're looking for and what platform your aiming at mod'ing. Mind you from the fox to the sn-95 changes to suspension are almost interchangeable. S197 I'm not all that familiar with so can't say. I'm pretty sure some companies are stronger on certain platforms than others.

Rankings in general from what I've gathered in reading the interwebz: (not a factual/statistical thing):

1 - Griggs/MM

2 - KB/Steeda

? - Saleen

? - Agent47

? - jme enterprises

From the hard-core road race crowd I usually hear or see about people using MM stuff due to the quality and price combination. Hard to beat.
However, the hard-core/deep-pockets crowd seem to lean towards the griggs.

Of course I also think your geographical location comes into play as to what you see out on the road more often. Steeda in florida, kennybrown out near his location. One oddity is I usually don't hear about people going out and buying saleen suspension products for track use. I also don't see too many saleens out on track (could have something to do with the collectibility of them). Performance Autosport shop in virginia has pictures of saleens being used on track so I'm sure it's being done by someone. I just don't hear about it all that often. Based on this I'm not sure exactly how they would hold up and compare.

Agent47 is relatively new and not sure where to rank them but the fact that the rookie driver set the track record at infineon raceway in a sn-95 during NASA's American Iron competition leads me to believe they're doing something right. They've got a double a-arm front setup that looks good. (see their website for more details). They currently don't have a front and rear "kit". But their front does warrant consideration.

jme is also relatively new and again not sure where to rank them. they've got a new sla front setup that won the best engineered new product sema 2007. I know they use it on their NASA American Iron car. To what success I'm not sure, but it's being used. Same as Agent47 I don't think they have a rear component so it's not a "kit" per-se.

There are a few other companies, but I honestly haven't heard anything about them so couldn't say. UPR and ground pounder are two that come to mind.

Another topic worth considering is the IRS. I've seen/heard of people swapping them into fox mustangs and swear by them. However I've also heard of people swapping IRS out of a perfectly good terminator in favor of old school tech for road racing. WTF???

Anyhow, if people have used or know of someone that's used any of the components above with success or even failure please post up on how it feels on track and on the street. I would love to read more about real world use instead of just relying on advertising. :)

Post up yer thoughts!

Thanks,
Gut

1 - 9 of 9 Posts