Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, im lookin for some 315/35/17 tires. i know of the NT555 and Sumitomo that everyone runs. is there any other suggestions you guys have tired and liked better? thanks

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I run nitto 555 that you already mentioned. They are a great tire. But now that I have the blower I will probably run MT Drs for my next tire. Do you want a street tire or a DR?

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
how long do you want them to last?
nt555rs have less tread life 10-15k depending on use but hook up much better than the tires you mentioned.

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
What do you plan on using the car for? Just cruizing around or and occasional blast down the 1/4 mile strip etc..? The Sumitumo's (315/35/17)I have in the shed work just fine for dd, and cross country travel but suck at the track but the Toyo Proxes TQ's I have on the car right now work pretty good at the drag strip imo. So I say it depends on what you have done to the car and what you plan on doing with it on the daily and on the weekends.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
If you want drag radial/street tires. Toyo Proxes TQ's are nice.

If more so of a street tire, plenty to choose from. Id probably go with Sumitomo HTR 2s

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just a stock car as of now. only has exhaust and h&r springs. It is not my daily driver but i do drive the car on a regular basis. Along with an occasional trip to the drag strip. I do not want drag radials. just a good street tire.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
How do you drive your car? That is the most important question to finding the best tire for you. I've run Nitto 555Rs to 18,000 posibly 20,000 miles since tread is still left but I have to run them at 18 psi. Toyo Proxies TQ come with a warning to not run them in the rain. None of the drag radials last longer than 20,000 miles. You have to get a street tire if you want longer mileage.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
How do you drive your car? That is the most important question to finding the best tire for you. I've run Nitto 555Rs to 18,000 posibly 20,000 miles since tread is still left but I have to run them at 18 psi. Toyo Proxies TQ come with a warning to not run them in the rain. None of the drag radials last longer than 20,000 miles. You have to get a street tire if you want longer mileage.
Toyo TQ drag radials are fine in the rain.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Toyo TQ drag radials are fine in the rain.
Exact words from Tire Rack:

WARNING! As a dual-purpose competition tire, the Proxes TQ is designed with a reduced tread depth and a special tread rubber compound for optimal dry weather traction. Therefore, it is important that you frequently check the available tread depth, because like all competition tires, the Proxes TQ will wear out much sooner and offer less wet weather grip than regular passenger car tires. Never use Proxes TQs, or any tires, on the street if they are worn down to the wear indicator bars, i.e., the available tread depth is no more than 2/32nds of an inch. USE EXTREME CAUTION AND REDUCED SPEEDS WHEN DRIVING WITH THE PROXES TQ IN WET CONDITIONS.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have bF goodrich gforce KD's. I love them. Outstanding handling. Very predictable and they wear well for being such a soft tire. They are hard to find and kinda pricey though. Also they are KD's not kdw's, so they are not very good in wet conditons.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Yeah but I'm saying, from personal experience their fine in the rain. I'm not saying do 80mph in the rain. But I do about 50-60mph on the highway in the rain and their fine.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
And that doesn't say "don't drive them in the rain"

·
Registered
499 Posts
Best tire hands down are the Toyo Proxes r888. The actual width of these tires is nuts. The Proxes 315's are actually almost 1.5" wider than a normal 315, Proxes measuring over 13" wide. More tire to the ground. My nephew runs them and does a lot of racing at the track and street. Using a 3600 stall he spanks everybody of the line with little traction issues. He's cammed and sprays. ImageUploadedByAutoguide1353939757.906708.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Honestly, When I buy tires I like to keep it great quality but I try to spend as less as possible. The Nitto 555r's are a great tire for the cost. I've been running those on my Vette and all my Mustangs for years now. They are great. Good life, good handling, good traction. And inexpensive compared to the competition. They are hard to beat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts