·
UNnaturally Aspirated
300 Posts
royal purple

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Got a 2007 v6 , I'm driving acorss country and wanted to put something good in
Then you don't want a "race" oil. Racing oils typically have little or no detergents and are intended to be used at the track and changed very frequently. There are much better suited oils out there for your intended use. I'd suggest doing some reading over at BITOG.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Then you don't want a "race" oil. Racing oils typically have little or no detergents and are intended to be used at the track and changed very frequently. There are much better suited oils out there for your intended use. I'd suggest doing some reading over at BITOG.
This. A race oil is the last thing you want for a cross-country trip (unless you're doing it at 7k rpm...) I'd just run Mobil 1 in the factory specified weight. If you want a fancy-pants filter, K&N makes a nice one that justifies its extra price by having a 1" nut on the end that makes it way easier to torque down and take off.

·
Resident asshole
1,694 Posts
Racing oil is for racing. It has no detergents because it only stays in for one race. Put whatever the manufacturer says to use. Mobil 1 is average at best as per the many used oil analysis' at bob is the oil guy.
Royal purple,Amsoil,motul,red-line and pennzoil ultra are all real synthetics. Mobil 1,Valvoline,castrol and pennzoil platinum are group 3 hydrocracked conventionals,which in north America can be labelled synthetic even though they aren't.
Pennzoil has the best line of oils out there. In fact I still use pennzoil yellow bottle. It's the best value in oil out there.

·
Resident asshole
1,694 Posts
I'm definately going with royal purple, any specific oil filter?
The new fram ultra is a kick ass filter. Rp is pretty expensive but it's great stuff. If you aren't under warrantee I suggest the hps line.
If you plan on running the oil for 5000 miles or less then don't waste your money on rp. Synthetics do not protect better than conventional,they protect longer.
Pennzoil platinum is one of the best values in oil on the planet. It cleans and maintains cleanliness,will last for a 10000 mile drain and it's cheap.
All API approved conventionals will last for a 5000 mile drain in regular driving. In the case of Amsoil I have no doubt it will last 15000+ miles.
Highway miles are especially easy on oil so if you are going cross country you can extend the drain even further.
If you are in a cold climate I suggest a 0w-20 or 0w-30. Better cold flow characteristics. If it's warm where you are a 5w is what you want.
I'm an oil geek. I spend countless hours reading about oil. If you have any specific questions and want fact I have used oil analysis' to back up my statements,not conjecture or assumption.
And don't believe what you see on tv

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm a calssic member and I run Schaeffer Oil and Wix or Napa Gold. I do 10,000 mile oil changes for the last 10+ years and have 200,000 on my daily driver and have never had engine trouble. I have a friend that is Vice Pres of sales at Royal Purple they have good products but I continue to run Schaeffer its done me well!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts