Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My autoshop has all the stuff for powdercoating, but i'd have to take the pistons out of the calipers and disassemble everything and it'd be a bitch so i'm not so sure i wanna do that, but how have you guys colored yours? spray paint? caliper paint kits? i want a medium-light blue color and i haven't found any kits with that.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I just used basic caliper paint from Advance Auto. Turned out good for the most part. One of the calipers started to chip in the first week, but I think it's because I rushed the drying process with a heat gun, and didn't let it sit over night. Overall though I am satisfied with them. They repel brake dust really well to.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
did you clean the calipers before you painted them?
Uh............... Yeah?:rolleyes:

how long did it take you?
Get your car up on blocks in the morning, clean and paint the calipers (takes about an hour, and you can actually do it with the calipers still on the rotors like I did, but it's hard to get the back side of them....if you have the time take them off and do it) and then let the car sit overnight to let the paint dry. About 3 hours of labor if your a perfectionist and by yourself.

liquid or spray?
Mine just came in a paint can and you brush it on.

·
Registered
777 Posts
i took them off sprayed and wiped down with brake clean. sprayed a couple of coats of high temp primer, let dry, then sprayed the high temp color on, let dry, and reinstailed very carefully. just put some tape over the pistons.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it seems like taking them off and spraying them might be easier. do you have to do multiple coats? if i don't buy a kit for brake calipers and use liquid paint where shud i get it and is there a certain kind for high temp like with spray?

·
Safud: MM's Resident Hadji
5,242 Posts
I did the kind that comes in a can and you paint on...Very simple....Took me about 2 hours for all 4 tires

cleaned them up using my dremel

then paint :)

·
Registered
777 Posts
take them off, easier and you dont get paint on everything else. i dont know about the brush on paint. but yes all ways do a few coats.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Update pic then! I'm curious to see that with a wheel on it.

I was about to chew your ass out for not doing the bracket.....*Why go through all the work and still have them look like *****

·
5,242 Posts
Update pic then! I'm curious to see that with a wheel on it.

I was about to chew your ass out for not doing the bracket.....*Why go through all the work and still have them look like *****
LOL

I can get pics of it tomorrow, but i don't have my black bullitt rims on there anymore. I put the bullitts on the cobra and the svt rims on the sixxer

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I don't care if you had doughnuts on your car.....I just want a pic.

·
5,242 Posts
cool. i am thinking about doing mine in white and black to match the car. hey safi sent you a rep.
Returned

For the cobra...What do you guys think of doing white as the main and black lettering for the "cobra"

I don't care if you had doughnuts on your car.....I just want a pic.
K, I shall get them tomorrow :)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Returned

For the cobra...What do you guys think of doing white as the main and black lettering for the "cobra"

K, I shall get them tomorrow :)

On the Calipers? That would be sick as hell....Tedious work though...

1 - 20 of 73 Posts