Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited a very nice 1987 Mustang 5.0 from my uncle and I love driving it around. Unfortunately most of my daily driving involves city travel and I'm only getting around 10 to 13mpg at most. Is this as good as it's going to get as far as MPGs go or can I do any modifications or upgrades to make it better?

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
A good tune up and run codes to see if there may be a sensor out somewhere. That mileage seems low even if you drive it like you stole it

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
That 10-13 is pretty low. My 93 is about 13-14. I know the compression is crap as its low on power and has a faint smell of oil from the taillpipes. No codes. Mileage should be closer to 15-16 i believe for a 5.0.

Start here:
check codes (i use an Equus 3145 code reader with an Equus 3149 cable extension - has everything you need)
check compression (said Equus has this ability - called a cylinder balance test)
check timing
new fuel filter
new air filter

How to check codes (one of many online references):
http://www.corral.net/index.php/tech/maintenance/41-eec-iv-scanning?showall=1

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I have heads/cam/intake/gears/exhaust and around town I get about 13-14. Highway is 22-23ish.

Get a fresh tune up, check for codes and go from there.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
26 Posts
unplug 4 of the fuel injectors, or buy a honda civic haha. but in all seriousness tune-up, clean maf, clean throttle body, new air filter, and most importantly drive with lighter foot. the biggest factor in fuel economy is the right foot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts