Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owner of this car bought it last year and drove it maybe 100 miles and decided he wanted more HP. A shop across from mine built a 347 and changed the rear to a Currie 9" and changed the wheels to Torque Thrusts. This car looked great when he bought it.

While the engine was out he decided he wanted us to install a Rod & Custom front suspension. We were removing seam sealer from the cowl and found that the lower cowl had been patched and never welded and also found this rust.

He wanted us to install a steel bulkhead behind the rear seat and this is what we found

At first we were going to patch the cowl and he was going to drive it a couple of years before we repaired the cowl and repainted the car.

We also found the front floor pans had been patched and the tack welds were bad. The owner decided to have us fix it right. This is what we found under that beautiful paint and a lot of bondo.

They had cut out a section and had a couple of pieces of plastic stuck in there with fiberglass mat over it.

This is what they were covering

If you are buying a car that was just painted make sure you see a lot of photos showing how it was repaired before it was painted. This was done by a shop that thank goodness is no longer in business.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
That is every classic car buyers nightmare. I remember how nauseous I was when the paint shop uncovered that kind of rust on my car. At least my car was still in primer and they didn't have to rip of a top coat. I got lucky and there were only two spots that bad as well.

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
Holy **** I would be sick.

I'm glad you guys have it though, I've seen your work in the other threads. No doubt it will be top notch when it's done.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Wow that's horrible. I would be pissed

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
If it werent for all the holes it wouldve fallen apart before it left the driveway. Ive seen some bad ones, but thats insane. And quite sad.

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
I commented on this one over at Pro-Touring.com, I didn't realize you were on here.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These are the last photos I will post on this thread. I will start a new one once the parts come in to start the restoration.

The upper and lower cowl came off as one piece only had two small welds close to the windshield pillar on both sides

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I said I wasn't going to add to this thread but I wanted to show what was left of his original Mustang that we could use.

He found a donor body and we will be removing the sheetmetal and epoxy priming everything and fitting new sheetmetal. Today starts the build of his Mustang.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts