Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met a guy the other day wanting to sell a set of these turbos for 700$ he says all they need is the rest of the hardware. I've really been wanting to turbocharge my mustang for some time and I'm not sure what all else is needed or how much it would run. He says "they flow a lil over 500 cfm each, and between the two they will support 750 hp. they are optimized for a 4.6 to 5.3 litre engine that is fairly stock" Is this a good deal or not? He says also they have never been used and are still in the packing they came in. BTW mine is a 97 GT with headers and HP heads.

John W

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
There is a lot to this and I think by the questions you are asking that you're not ready to do this on your own.

Many different types of turbos exist, they need to be matched to your combo to not lag or damage the turbo. You need to study the compressor map and find a turbo that is inside its high efficiency range for the given load.

There are watercooled turbos, oil cooled, etc. You will need to fabricate the piping, think about a bigger and possibly relocated MAF, decide how you want to run the rear exhaust (turbos naturally dont have dual exhaust unless you run twins)... you will need a tune, injectors, fuel system, and better internals for any real power to be had.

My advice is to pay someone to do this start to finish, or seriously spend a good amount of time reading. There are forums dedicated to DIY turbo mustangs. Go google :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
The big 16G turbo is an ideal medium sized turbo for the 2.0L 4g63 Mitsubishi engine it was meant for. I had one on my old 97 Eclipse GS-T. Twin Big 16g's on a 302 would make a pretty mean street machine. As for engineering the rest of the kit, I agree with acidtonic. I guarantee you're in over your head if you have to ask how to install them.

Btw, $700 is a terrible deal for this turbo. You can get them ported and brand new for less than that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts