Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think ive got this problem down to cooling issue. heres the deal...

when the car heats up,. coolant/water pressurizes out somewhere in between firewall and intake manifolds. after popping hood you can see it steaming out from around there. Ive already pulled the manifolds to check for cracks in cooling lines but no go. Does anyone have any idea.. or know what cooling lines run in that vacinity? Im going to have my cooling system pressure tested asap, but that will probably only tell me of the leak not where it is.

help please!?!?!?!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, heres the deal,... the heater core needs to be installed.. so for now there is a "u" pipe fitting made out copper pipe that is hose clamped to the runners that lead to the heater core. so basically its a block off. However i got down in the bay to check while the steam was coming out and it didnt seem to be coming from that area,.. but slightly further in... im going to install the heater core asap just to be sure tho

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
sounds like maybe a head gasket

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but would that spray out only when its hot, or wouldnt that spray from the moment i turn the key?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
the hotter it gets the more pressure its gona have but im not sure

·
Registered
146 Posts
an easy test would be to remove the serpentine belt and open the rad cap start the car is you see coolant moving threw the rad then the head gasket is no good also did you check the coolant hoses that go threw the egr ??

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my next question.... is the rebuild as simple as pulling the problematic head and replacing the gasket... or do i need the block / heads reworked or anything?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
check and see if there is water in your oil.... then see if ur car is burning white smoke...
when it heats up go into a dark place with a good flasklight and find where the steam is coming from...

u would want to pull both heads have them resurfaced and replace both the heads and gaskets if u have one off u might as well pull em both and have them done so u have that peice of mind.. its like 100 for a resurface(both heads) at most machine shops and 40 for head gaskets. then change your oil.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
heres the thing,..no milky oil, no white smoke,.. so thats kinda where i stand,... im bout to pull my hair out because i really cant seem to find where the leak is. worst case,.im going to take her in for a diagnostic,compression tests etc...
...all the help has been great guys,i appreciate it.. keep it comin..-up for some more

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Back of the intake...

lower intake gasket?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
there is waterports in the front and the back of the intake it could be seeping out of that.. have u changed your thermastat.. maybe its not opening and your building up too much pressure causing it to leak out.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back of the intake...

lower intake gasket?

hmm, good question.. i didnt get to pulling my lower intake off... but would there be a substantial amount of water coming from the lower intake if the gasket was bad?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there is waterports in the front and the back of the intake it could be seeping out of that.. have u changed your thermastat.. maybe its not opening and your building up too much pressure causing it to leak out.

i'll change that next...

·
Registered
39 Posts
do you have fuel injection? if thats the case., there is a coolant hose running under the plenum that when has a small pin hole will couse the problems that you decribe. dont second guess just have the system pressure tested. and if i were you avoid driving your car for now , so you dont make things worse.aka.blown head gasket. good luck

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
do you have fuel injection? if thats the case., there is a coolant hose running under the plenum that when has a small pin hole will couse the problems that you decribe. dont second guess just have the system pressure tested. and if i were you avoid driving your car for now , so you dont make things worse.aka.blown head gasket. good luck
yea i got an app. 2morr for diagnostic so we'll see.. i'll keep yall posted

1 - 17 of 17 Posts