Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the pinion bearings started making noise. had a hell of a time with the abs sensors but finally got the axles and differential out leaving just the pinion gear.

I removed the yoke and nut and It won't pull out so i proceed with a 8lb sledge. NOTHING.
thought it might be easier to get out if I removed the oil seal , shim and bearing from that side if possible but I can't get the seal out.

rearend is still under the car but i have already screwed the nut and possibly the threads beating it with the BFH.

WHAT CAN I DO TO GET THE PINION OUT? car is in my driveway and I really don't want to remove the whole rearend plus I don't have spring compressors and garage nor the desire to do so.

any help at all is greatly appreciated. thanks guys

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update: removed the oil seal and shim and can visibly see the bearing is SHOT. shavings and all. I can turn the race with a screw driver and move the gear front to back a millimeter or so. the inner race is seized on the shaft and it looks like it isn't big enough to go over the splines. it hasn't got to the splines yet. can get it to budge

I know it has to come out that way

:facepalm:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
It may need to be burned out with an oxy-acetylene torch--sometimes when bearings go they get so badly mangled that's the only way...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
You are going to need a cutting torch to burn it out, see if you can find a mobile welding outfit that feels comfortable doing the job. Just explain what the situation is and they will say yes or no, if no call the next one.

However, if "the race" that is spinning is the outer race (which it sounds like it is) you are going to need some serious machine work or a new axle housing--I.e. the rear-end is coming out...

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
You don't need a spring compressor to drop the rear. Remove breaks and tie them up out of the way.. place jack under center of diff. Unbolt shocks... lower the diff until the control arms reach heir limit.. jack up one side of the axle and use your foot to push down on the other and remove the spring by hand... and repeat on the other side... simple as that. Then remove your control as and wheel the axle out of the car

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Soak it in PB all night the first thing tomorrow it will come out. I beat on mine for an hour then said **** it PB time i let it soak all night and almost broke my neck when I hit it in the morning it came out so easy.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I agree with cliffyk IF the race is spining in the housing then get a different rear end housing. It is junk unless someone fixes that problem. (not sure its worth fixing) It will not last to long after a rebuild if you don't address that problem.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I may be wrong but on my 2000 gt you can remove the pinion kinda like the whole diff on a 9 inch
A 8.8 doesnt have a removable carrier housing like a 9"

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts