Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im driving back from work this afternoon, i was sort of on the throttle when i get a red light and stopped, right when the car is slowing down coming to a halt my engine stalled and it wouldn't start. Opened the hood and found my oil cap in the air intake box and some oil sprayed on the hood insulation and ac lines. Ended up pushing the car to a parking lot. i try jumping cables, didn't work, the engine would try to crank but it just felt like the battery was drained. Changed batteries with my dad's and after a jump then it cranked and started but a metal to metal (hitting, griding) sound started. I towed the car home because the sound scare the heck out of me, i hear it up top in the motor (around the passenger head) towards the firewall. By the way is not a ticking noise. I want to make to more less know what it could be.
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'd drain the oil and see how much oil you have left, and see if any metal shavings come out in the oil...that will probably tell you a decent bit for starters.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
sounds like you have no oil in the motor. do NOT turn it on again until you check the oil level/add oil/change oil/check oil/look at your oil/make sure oil is in your car/BP oil spill....

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's why i added two more just in case because i have a slight leak through the oil pan gasket (2weeks ago)

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
i put about two quarts about 2 weeks ago just in case. what could of have caused the oil cap to come off?
you forgot to put it back on properly, happens all the time (or they say at least)

but really, nothing really could of poped it off, chances are you left it loose after you added oil

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i dont know, i do remember leaving in tight but who knows... ill get back to you guys tomorrow after i drain the oil pan and refilll with fresh oil and a new battery. thanks for all the help. hope didnt break anything would love to a start a build but i can't afford it right now.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
bad cylinder rings could cause some compression forcing oil out, happend to my dads boat

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
you forgot to put it back on properly, happens all the time (or they say at least)

but really, nothing really could of poped it off, chances are you left it loose after you added oil
Wrong, crank case pressure can cause the cap to blow off, could be something like causing excess amount of crank case pressure

·
Banned
416 Posts
Wrong, crank case pressure can cause the cap to blow off, could be something like causing excess amount of crank case pressure
Doubtful. Then the oil cap or the fitting it attaches to would be broken. Crank case pressure won't "turn" the oil cap to unlock it. Plus, there is already enough crankcase ventilation with the pcv and the fresh air return line (that connects to the intake) that would relieve the pressure way before it could pop the oil cap off, even if he did lose compression.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts