Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got a source on the cheapest price? It looks like the Tokico D-Specs just took a dump ... :mad:

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
do you suggest i take a risk with the d-specs or just go bilsteins straight up...
D-Specs are good for what they are. I just don't want to be adjusting all of the time. And with any adjustable dampners, there is just more **** that can go wrong, more places to blow a seal and leak. Bilstein construction and quality are second to none (I believe lifetime warranty or something silly like that) and they can also be rebuilt with different valving if you want. As far as ride they have a self adjusting disc valving set up that make them good for any kind of road conditions. I love mine, smooth as a baby's butt when cruisin' and they firm up nice as soon as you go deep into a turn.

So far, Tire Rack seems to have the best price @ $602.00 for the set.
-Mitch
Nasty, $602 is a great price! I got mine from Rich, I'd call him and see if he can match it. I upgraded my strut mounts to the GT500 ones at the same time. You might want to think about it if you haven't done it already.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the link! The best price I've found is $450 for the front and $220 for the rears. How do you guys with them feel about how they perform at the track?

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Thanks for the link! The best price I've found is $450 for the front and $220 for the rears. How do you guys with them feel about how they perform at the track?
Haven't run them at the track yet so I couldn't tell you. I don't think they are ideal though. I would think that the harder you launch the stiffer they will be. Talk to Rich about them, I think he has run them at the track. I got them as a compromise between street and track. Love the way the work on the street though.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Anybody tried the new Koni STR.T's?

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is next on my list. They are equivalent to the adjustable Koni's set on full soft, although they are not soft. Roughly $450 for a whole set. And Koni backs up their warranties.

Talk to Sam Strano Strano Performance Parts

...multi-time national champion auto-crosser who races Mustangs. He probably has a clue or two.
I didn't know you were into autocross.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Someone mentioned my name?

I have Bilstein's for $630/set, and Koni STR.T's for $459.99/set (and that's shipped on the Koni's).

Bilstein's are great quality, but frankly I think they are way overpriced for a non-adjustable damper. We've been using lots of STR.T's on mildly lowered (and even some stock) cars, and the feedback has been tremendous. I've driven a few of those cars, and if it wasn't for the fact I like a lot more rebound damping than most, I'd be in love too. The ride is very good, they deal with bumps much better than most anything else, and being Koni's have a kick ass, HONORED warranty.

I also sell Tokico but the reason I don't like to, is for the reason NastyStang113 found out.... they aren't built very well.

I truly feel STR.T's are killer bang for the buck, especially on a car with lowering springs. Bilstein's are best with stock height springs, can be used with lowering springs, but lack some rebound damping in comparison.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are the STR.Ts adjustable? I might have to hit you up here in a little bit for some ..

·
Registered
27 Posts
STR.T's are not adjustable.... Neither are Bilstein's. You'd have to run Koni Sports for Adjustment.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I see that now. I liked the Tokico D-Specs when they were working properly. My car is a street car. I had them set in the middle for street driving and it was a comfortable ride and handled spirited corners well. Do you think the STR-Ts will give me what I'm looking for? I drag race my car but the Steeda Sport springs aren't really helping that so.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You have to pick your poison. You can forget the drag shocks like Strange and QA1 for any sort of control. That leaves you Koni Sport (fronts out of stock on a nationwide backorder, rears in stock). D-specs (which you already broke) for adjustables.

Quality wise it leaves you with Bilstein or STR.T's.

Let me see if I can find some feedback from other STR.T customers for you:

Sam Strano delivers the goods with Koni STR.Ts - MustangForums.com

And then there is this e-mail I got back from a man coming from all stock stuff:

"Sam…..you are definitely the MAN!

Steeda Sport Springs and Koni SRT.T dampers = one hell of a street package!

The ride on the street and freeway/expressway is very good although you do know you have stiffer springs than stock and I haven’t had any issues with raised parking areas or speed bumps. There really isn’t any harshness, just a firm and well controlled ride and the stance of the car is awesome as well….just what I was looking for.

On the canyon roads the car responds to the slightest input at the wheel and tracks around corners like a go-cart, body roll is very well controlled and heavy braking produces little nose dive…..very confidence inspiring; the rear of the car stays planted and no longer steps out when encountering surface irregularities in mid-corner.

I won’t risk pushing the car into an unsafe condition or try to find the limits of traction on a public road but, spirited driving is really easy now and a lot more fun.

I’m glad I talked/emailed with you and heeded your advice.

Regards and Thanks,

Ken"

1 - 20 of 36 Posts