Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Unfortunately your clear is screwed. No chemical is going to correct it. Bird **** is acidic, have to take it off right away or it does this.

How long was it on there before you washed it off? You don't have long to remove it before it starts it's course of damage.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
That's right. The only thing you can do now is try to make the damage less noticeable by lightly wet sanding the area with 2500-3000 grit then buff it. That will help, but no full fix.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Yeah, it's ****ed. It will look better with time as the clearcoat settles back and hardens a bit. I would do the wet sand and buff thing or maybe get a decent body shop to do it.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
hmm ive left bird **** on my car for a couple days before and no damage. maybe because i had wax on it?

but yeah thats def a sand and buff job or body shop

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
It really does depend on what the bird had to eat lately.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
lol damn birds. i seriously went on a 3 week spree where everytime i washed my car i came out to find bird **** on it. Its like thier watching us

:shiftyeyes

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I might take it to this place and get it detailed/waxed. I havent ever gotten it professionally done since I owned it and it needs it bad. especially since its a black car. I actually had other stain from a bird **** awhile back and its still there. i just took my chances with this ****. I guess it does depend what they eat. ****ing birds.

actually anyone know of a good detail place in san diego?

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
The other thing against you is the fact that it's black. Believe it or not the black gets warm enough to enhance the acidic attack.

No matter what, rinse that **** quick off of black. You gotta be anal retentative about it or this type of **** comes along..Lighter color and you can get away with it for a tad longer. Still ain't good for the clear.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
My car is black too. A couple of times I've had a bird **** on my car either while driving or when I really can't clean it off. I've pulled over and used spit and a good micro fiber rag to get the **** off quick.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Are you guys serious? My car's paint job can't stand up to bird ****? Does Ford regard a bird shitting as statistically improbable? If one were to get their car repainted, is their any bird **** proof paint or coating one could use?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Bird **** proof paint...lol! I know, but acid is acid. Most bird **** can sit there a while, but some birds need alka-seltzer and must have a case of ass burn. I know Ford was and probably still is using PPG paint/clearcoat.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I had the same problem a few months back, bird **** on the hood, I washed it off and the paint/clearcoat looked ****ed. I waxed it 2 times with some Zymol and it got better. I waited one more month waxed it again and within 2 weeks you could not tell where the **** was. I guess the clearcoat softened up enough. So don't panic yet unless there was absolutely no wax on your car.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I check my car every time I park it for the night and clean any off. That's the only way to keep it nice- especially on black, as you know it shows everything. Wax your car frequently, let the wax take the abuse, not your paint.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
That's right. The only thing you can do now is try to make the damage less noticeable by lightly wet sanding the area with 2500-3000 grit then buff it. That will help, but no full fix.
If the car has an aftermarket paint job, then YES by all means do this, but with the stock paint job you will sand through the clear coat and cause paint failure. Shops won't touch your car with a wetsand unless you have a few extra coats of clear to spare. Ford, as well as just about 90% of other car manufacturers, do not put enough coats of clear on your car to do this efficiently.

Sadly, your paint is screwed. You're best bet is to compound it with a wool pad. Other than that, you're kind of SOL.

No car manufacturer that I know of can efficiently block bird ****. Maybe the new BMW and Mercedes cerami-clears will, but I don't know. They actually use a ceramic based clear coat on their newer vehicles and requires special polishes to effectively removed imperfections.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just washed and waxed that area where the bird **** was and it didnt help. I might try buying a professional buffer and try to buff it out a little more.

Its on my hood which is a saleen hood from saleen so I am not sure how well they clear coated it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts