Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '02 pgt, has the flat black hood scoop, and flat black spoiler.

I planned on washing/waxing the car soon. What should I do with those pieces?,,,,do they wax well?,,should they be?

Do I use some Armorall/Son of Gun/ etc..int. plastic protectant?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
anything made by mother's or macguire's is fine for the do-it-yourself car washer. be careful with waxes. some will remove clear coat. macguires gold class wax or cleaner wax is fine.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
coolness - I've always like mother's products,,prolly pick up some of that 'back to black' mentioned.

I figured it would need something special,,those plastic pieces look like they would get hazy with a regular waxing.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Back to black is good for flat black stuff that gets oxidized easily, or turns more of a gray... it will wear off between waxes. Make sure to apply with a microfiber cloth or else youll get lint n **** all over your car.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool - love this site!

She's getting new front rotors, and tint this week. Then prolly a hell-a-scrub-a-dub this coming weekend.

,,and then,,,and then,,,,,, :) ,,,and then a nice rumbly exh next week :)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
cool - love this site!

She's getting new front rotors, and tint this week. Then prolly a hell-a-scrub-a-dub this coming weekend.

,,and then,,,and then,,,,,, :) ,,,and then a nice rumbly exh next week :)
awesome. welcome to the site. let me know if you need any info on window tinting. ive been there and done that in every way possible from the tint quality to the law enforcement. hit me up.

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
I use tire shine...

but that's just me. Doesn't ever really fade, just kinda wears off, but looks pretty good when all's said and done if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got three quotes for tint all the way around:
2 mobile tint dudes: one was $120, the other $125,
1 tint shop: $140

I guess that sounds about right. Thinking I'll have the $125 guy do it,,seems to have a great rep. around here (south FL).

I've always gone super dark on the back of my cars,,but it's a pain to back up at night. How dark you guys go for the black glass?

Get'n the 'back to black' tonight at wallyworld :)

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
Wait...I misread...my bad!

I only use tire shine on the mirrors, cowl, and chin spoiler to make em' "pop" a bit.

I apologize for the weird response.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
There's so much wrong information in here...

First of all, Meguire's Gold Class car wash is a very nice OTC car wash. Very sudsy and very smooth. I use it myself. Use a microfiber mitt and wash the mitt off after each panel to try to eliminate the transfer of dirt and other trash that will get caught in the fibers. If you don't they will just scratch themself into the clearcoat causing swirls and minor scratches.

anything made by mother's or macguire's is fine for the do-it-yourself car washer. be careful with waxes. some will remove clear coat. macguires gold class wax or cleaner wax is fine.

DO WHAT!?!?!?!

No wax on this planet is going STRIP your clearcoat. Sorry. Not even a degreaser as strong as Greased Lightning, Simple Green, or hell even Lysol won't do it. The only thing that will remove clear coat is sandpaper, paint thinner (takes awhile), acetone, and paint stripper. That exclude's the obvious damage stuff like stones and stuff.

Buy the Meguire's NXT Next Generation Paste Wax. For an OTC wax, it is really good stuff.

My '02 pgt, has the flat black hood scoop, and flat black spoiler.

I planned on washing/waxing the car soon. What should I do with those pieces?,,,,do they wax well?,,should they be?

Do I use some Armorall/Son of Gun/ etc..int. plastic protectant?

Thanks!
Go to an auto parts store and buy Meguire's Mirror Glaze 7 Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze is a final step auto glaze to enhanced the gloss prior to wax application. Get a show car shine with Meguiars #7 Show Car

Use a glaze on your cowl panel and stuff of that nature. If you plan on doing the weather stripping make sure you use a throw-around microfiber cloth because it's going to get drty as hell.

Some wxes can actually stain those flat black panels over time. Normally a 100% pure carnauba wax is prefered, but they are "pricey". Cheap ones being in the range of $30+ for a small jar of paste wax.

Wait...I misread...my bad!

I only use tire shine on the mirrors, cowl, and chin spoiler to make em' "pop" a bit.

I apologize for the weird response.
No. When you car gets wet, that stuff is going to fly all over your car. That's something you do not really want on your paint. Use the glaze. It will give it that natural look, but will still make it 'pop'.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
^congrats on being an expert car washer, lol. i have seen several cars clear coats ruined by waxes. almost all were older brand waxes that were abrasive.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If it's plastic you should clean it off with simple grean, then dry it completely and spray it with turtle wax F21. Just looks at some of the pics people have posted using that method on their engines. It works miracles. However if it's just painted black I would use somethig else.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Just got three quotes for tint all the way around:
2 mobile tint dudes: one was $120, the other $125,
1 tint shop: $140

I guess that sounds about right. Thinking I'll have the $125 guy do it,,seems to have a great rep. around here (south FL).

I've always gone super dark on the back of my cars,,but it's a pain to back up at night. How dark you guys go for the black glass?

Get'n the 'back to black' tonight at wallyworld :)
$125 is pretty cheap. I paid $200 for my tint job, but i live in PA. tint shops are far more common in FL and im sure much more competitively priced. the most important thing is the guy doing the work. before you get it done look at some cars that they have tinted. roll the windows part way down and see if they left a very small portion untinted at the top. That thin line along the top of a window lacking tint film is a tell tale sign of an inexperienced tinter. Also look at the windows in the sunlight from different angles. check for adhesive residue between the tint and the window glass. they will look like thin puddles everywhere. That is also a sign of an inexperienced tinter. look at the rear window dot matrix above the heated defroster lines. a good tinter will use a completely black vinyl to cover the dot matrix across the top of the rear window. ask around too. most people dont know what to look for, but it doesnt hurt to see what other think of the local shops. be sure to check the quality of the film being used. good film is usually a bit thicker and it looks black or grey. cheaper films usually look a bit purple and fade very quickly. a tinter who uses good product will always back it with a warranty. my tint job is warrantied for life against fading and peeling.

as far as the transparency goes i have 2 layers of 5% tint all the way around my car and im not saying that its easy to see at night, but its not impossible. in FL im pretty sure the legal issues are far less strict. i have had my share of tickets, but there are legal routes you can take in many states to get an exemption.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
quicksilver225 - thanks for the tint info, I wasn't aware of the black vinyl used for the dot matrix. I'll ask for that. I've spent plenty of time carefully removing tint,,esp. from the dot matrix area,,pita..
I've seen prices higher obviously,,but I looked around, and the mobile dude seems to have an excellent rep.. I'm hoping for just a shade below legal on the sides,,and pretty black black everthing else.

--My wing, and scoop are flat black plastic pieces. I honestly haven't looked close enough to determine if they are painted,,or just that shiny as is. Maybe someone could chime in on that. I'm assuming it's a stock spoiler and scoop...here's a vid:

02 MGT 5spd :: 02MGT 5spd :) video by zenpgt94 - Photobucket

..the day i bought it.

·
Old timer
9,296 Posts
^congrats on being an expert car washer, lol. i have seen several cars clear coats ruined by waxes. almost all were older brand waxes that were abrasive.
This is false. Waxes are not abrasive at all. You should research what a wax is. So many people think waxes are worked into the paint. This is not true, a wax is literally a layer of wax that sits on TOP of the clear coat. It is in no way shape or form worked into the paint. That would be a polish.

OP, are the materials flat or matte black? If they are flat then I would suggest just cleaning them like normal and letting them be, that is the point of a flat paint, not to "pop". If it is matte and you would like a little bit of protection on it, then yes you can apply wax.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
hey weems - I'm not sure I honestly know the difference between a 'flat' vs 'matte' black,,but they pieces are not 'shiny',,,,I would say they are 'flat' or 'matte'.

...also,,it could be that they had more 'shine' to them,,and have just aged. I have a little paint sun fade on all my plastics (front and rear bumpers, side scoops), so it's hard to tell.

My car almost looks like the previous owner put a Mach1 spoiler on it (the hood scoop isn't functional, but a raised one also flat/matte black) - perhaps he was going for that look,,,or maybe it's factory?,,idk for sure yet.

Here's a Mach1:
http://www.2fastlane.com/wallpapers/ford/Mustang_Mach_1_2003_2.jpg --that spoiler looks identical to the one on my '02.

Was it an option for '02???

---so i'm curious now,,I've looked around and I can't seem to find any '02 gt's that look like mine. (any color '02 gt, with a 'flat/matte' black hood stripe, hood scoop, and spoiler)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts