Modded Mustang Forums banner

Blackstone Oil Report - Timing Chain Issue? 138k Miles

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Wade_GT 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Looking for opinions or experience any of you have with finding high aluminum content in your 4.6L 2v UOA reports or if any of you have experienced timing chain tensioner issues at similar miles. I'm at 138k miles and am the original owner of the car. I'm not hearing any abnormal sounds from the engine while cold or at temp.

Here is my Blackstone report with concern areas circled in red. Could the aluminum be the front engine cover? I find it hard to believe it could be the rod bearings.

Thanks,
Wade

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, Wicked. It's got the nylon/plastic chain guides but those can become brittle over time I believe.

Anyone else have thoughts on what is more likely? Chain issue vs. bearings vs. pistons?

#4 ·
I've decided to move forward with getting the timing chain done along with water pump and radiator. I figured that will put my engine in good health for the eventual supercharging.

#5 ·
What kind of shape is your thrust bearing in?

#6 ·
Well, here's the result of my timing chain change:

Tensioner found its way through the guide making a hole.. That explains the high aluminum content found. I had the Ford Racing chain, tensioner, cam sprocket kit put in. While my mechanic was in there, I had a Frostbite (Holley) 2-core aluminum radiator put in as well as Gates water pump and lower radiator hose.. and I had a VDO oil temp sensor installed as well just to keep an eye on things.

The motor has noticably less NVH after the repair.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.