Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be upgrading to a cobra front brake system and i dont know if i want a blank rotor or if i want the slotted/cross drilled one. I know the slotted/cross drilled ones improve cooling and the removal of brake dust but are not recommended for track use. I have yet to go to the track, and will probably only go to the track if i get a power adder just to see my 1/4 mile time. Whats everyone think?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The right type rotors.

I am going to be upgrading to a cobra front brake system and i dont know if i want a blank rotor or if i want the slotted/cross drilled one. I know the slotted/cross drilled ones improve cooling and the removal of brake dust but are not recommended for track use. I have yet to go to the track, and will probably only go to the track if i get a power adder just to see my 1/4 mile time. Whats everyone think?
If drilled and slotted rotors were ok the would come that way from the factory.
Keep it simple, plain rotor equals no problems with cracking associated with drilled and slotted rotors.
Always purchase preminum type rotors like brembo and baer for example.
Good luck,I reccomend to always get as much information on a product as possible , plus opinions from this forum ,before investing your hard earned money .
mikey p.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
ok..

i think your ok with slotted/cross drilled

Cobra brakes are good and i will do that upgrade later also..

and i think they are meant for a lot of braking and really hard braking.. if not.. why would they be used in circuit races? where theres a lot of braking involved? and have you seen em glow? damn.. you could cook something after a circuit race lol..

o well the thing is..

umm exotics and really fast cars comes with em stock.. i think that says it all

·
Registered
2 Posts
Avoid the slotted or drilled unless you are just buying them because they look cool. Rotors need all the mass they can get to handle the heat. Exotic cars have way oversized brakes so it doesn't matter as much. Our brakes are not oversized.

Tony

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have have 13" slotted/drilled Cobra brakes on my car for a year,and around here they get tested in traffic REGULARLY,not by choice but,tested none the less.I have experienced any cracks or heat probs,but I think they wear pads faster,I am ready for a new set soon.By the way,our rear calipers are NOT of the full floating design,meaning the pads are always in contact with the rotor.I had 13" slotted/drilled in the rear for about 2 months before I had to take them off,the noise drove me NUTS!

·
Registered
112 Posts
The cross drilled is what they say dont run on a road course because of cracking, from what I understood slotted is ok, and helps release gasses from between the pads and rotor to improve braking under harsh use. The brembo's on the 00 cobra r are slotted I believe.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
I have have 13" slotted/drilled Cobra brakes on my car for a year,and around here they get tested in traffic REGULARLY,not by choice but,tested none the less.I have experienced any cracks or heat probs{"havent" or "have"},but I think they wear pads faster,I am ready for a new set soon.By the way,our rear calipers are NOT of the full floating design,meaning the pads are always in contact with the rotor.I had 13" slotted/drilled in the rear for about 2 months before I had to take them off,the noise drove me NUTS!
huh?

·
Registered
927 Posts
The cross drilled is what they say dont run on a road course because of cracking, from what I understood slotted is ok, and helps release gasses from between the pads and rotor to improve braking under harsh use. The brembo's on the 00 cobra r are slotted I believe.
This is almost all true.

Also Most company's dont put slotted or drilled rotors on there car due to cost ,hence why you see it mostly on more expensive cars .
now thats not to say that all oem breaks that come on a car suck some are good (like what comes stock on a MKIV thats hard to improve on )

Slot rotors run cooler, greatly improve wet and dry brake performance, and are a better substitute to drilled cast iron rotors since there more prone to crack.

also dont for get the inside of the rotor counts as well good venting inside a rotor increases overall rotor cooling and can provide about 30- 40 perfect more resistance to cracking.

well im late for work !

·
MM's Coffee Addict
2,162 Posts
Slotted: Cooler break surface temperature due to improved air-circulation design. Less surface area for breaking, however. Slightly increased pad wear.

Cross-Drilled: Cooler breaking surface, same as slotted rotors, however prone to cracking at HIGH temperatures. These won't crack on you on your daily commute, unless you plan on doing 20+ consecutive 100-0mph stops. Once again, less surface area for pads to grab, downside to slotted and cross-drilled rotors.

I run slotted rotors and have no complaints. My ceramic pads have held up quite nicely.

Be sure to do proper pad-set-in when you install your new brakes, whichever route you take.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts