Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today im getting my final things done so i can get to the track tommorow. one of the things i did was install a line lock. install of the line lock was easy and really does not need any explaining since it comes with instructions. the pain in the butt part of the install is bleeding the brakes when i was done. since i drained and removed my master cylander for the install i had to do quite a bit of bleeding to get all the air out. today i was alone so i was stuck doing the job by my self. many people bleed brakes using the buddy system, or a hand vacume pump. both methods work but being by my self the buddy system was not a option. i do own a hand vacume pump but it never really works that well for me, not to mention its not the cheapest tool to buy. now for bleeding brakes the easy way with out help.

i started with a coke bottle and drilled the lid so i had to squeeze a vacume line in it also poke a small hole at the top so the bottle can vent. i made the mistake using a beer bottle and it spilled a couple of times when it fell over. thats not to mention i almost drank it cause i confused it with the beer i was drinking. using the coke bottle made it so if it fell over it would not spill.

on the end i put a cheap check valve from the auto parts store, this allows the brake fluid to come out and keeps air from back washing back into the brake system.

now for the easy part, i started with the master cylander and hooked up my bottle with the check valve to the bleed valve/screw, and pumped the brake pedal till the fluid came out in a nice steady stream. then i went to the rear brakes and continued to pump out all the air. this process took me 2 laps around the car and about 15 min to compleat.

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
Yeah drinking that might mess you up a little more than the beer would...lol way to be creative man, hell who uses the buddy system these days anyways? haha

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
come on Stal, just admit you have no friends ...... lol just kidding man, sounds like a nifty trick, REP's
unfortunatly none of my friends are into cars. it makes hit hard to convince them to get dirty and help so i make due with what i got. people would think that building cars is all i care about but with work, and cool things to do i really dont have a lot of time for the car. thats not to mention i dont really drive it.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Great Idea there Stal, Harbor Freight sells a kit that works with an air compressor. Has a resorvoir bottle you fill with fluid and you sit it on top of the brake resorvior. Hook the bleeder bottle up to the brake line and squueze the trigger, sucks the fluid thru the lines and the bottle keeps the master cylinder resorvoir full. It works pretty good.

I have a similar setup to what you designed I bought someplace, I can't remember where. It allows you to bleed brakes by yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
This sounds similar to the "simple balloon valve" write-up I saw on the internet, but more legit because that's a real valve. Thanks for the write-up!

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
unfortunatly none of my friends are into cars. it makes hit hard to convince them to get dirty and help so i make due with what i got. people would think that building cars is all i care about but with work, and cool things to do i really dont have a lot of time for the car. thats not to mention i dont really drive it.

You're absolutely right. Not all that many into cars these days. When I was a kid, everybody was into cars and/or sports because there was nothing else----thankfully, no x-boxes and such. P.S. Interesting about the bleeder screw check valves in this thread----going to have to get some of those.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
i do the buddy system with myself lol. I use a 2x4 to pump the brakes then wedge the 2x4 between the seat and pedal. Also if the hose was longer and went to the bottom of the bottle so that its under the fluid, you dont need a check valve. But none the less this should help out a lot of people

·
Registered
130 Posts
just finished bleeding the brakes after rotor/pad install. used the quarter filled gatorade bottle approach. worked without a problem.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Maybe I'm missinformed...but doing it yourself and wedging the pedal...hmm...I thought you were not supposed to push the brake pedal all the way down as you risk f-ing up the piston in the caliper?

That's what I've been told...please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
its the same as using the buddy system.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sure, I understand that. But are you supposed to press the brake pedal all the way down?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
107 Posts
not supposed to push it all the way down because the seals can come across a lip thats worn into your master cyl bore. and def get speed bleeders easiest thing in the world and cheap as hell

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Sure, I understand that. But are you supposed to press the brake pedal all the way down?

It won't go all the way down to the floor the way i explained it, unless your he-man and compress all the fluid in the master

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
304 Posts
I always just take the cap off the master cylinder, top it off, crack open all the bleeders, and keep an eye on the master cylinder to top it off when it gets low on fluid. After a few minutes I close the bleeders, top off the master cylinder a final time, and then my brakes are bled and I've flushed out all the old fluid.

Gravity bleeding FTW.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts